Abemaciclib cumulative side effects

• 6 replies
  • 272 subscribers

I have been taking the 150mg dose for 6 weeks now.  Apart from diarrhoea I started off ok, but the last week has been a slog with extreme fatigue and feeling nauseous. I’m finding it hard to keep my eyes open and am not eating much.  I can drink Complan thankfully.

has anyone else experienced this please? I’m unsure whether it is a cumulative effect of the drug, or whether I have just hit the floor mentally and the past 15 months of worry, shock and treatment are all catching up with me. 

has anyone found that they could tolerate the drug initially, but then their tolerance dropped?

thank you for any experience you can share.  

• Hi, I’m on cycle10 and so far still managing 150. We are all different on how medication affects us. I was nauseous early on and that has gone. I occasionally feel a bit sickly when I’m over tired. The fatigue has also improved or maybe I’ve adjusted my life to accommodate it. I occasionally have an afternoon nap and I’m in bed early but I do find exercise does help with the fatigue. I don’t understand how exercise reduces fatigue but I followed others advice and it does work. 
    I found the first 3 month were difficult but we can only do what we can do. I hope your side effects improve soon, I’m just taking one cycle at a time and I’m sure at some point I’ll end up reducing my dose. 

• Hi, sorry to hear you are feeling rubbish.

I'm a week away from finishing cycle 24, & my experience is that the cumulative build up of the drug does effect you. 

I've had a couple of dose reductions, each time, I felt a slight improvement, but followed by a dip again.

The mental battle is also real, we have all been through a lot by this stage.

Best wishes Viv x

• Thanks for sharing your experience, Viv. 
    There is no easy way with any of this is there?

well done for getting to the end. That is quite a milestone. X

• It sounds like you are doing well.
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

I also don’t really understand how exercise helps fatigue, but like you I have found that it does. Because the fatigue does not get better with rest or sleep I find you either have to just be fatigued all the time which is horrible, or try and rise above it by pushing yourself a bit. Sometimes this feels harder than others. 

• Thanks. It's been a long slog, but I've just tried to focus on the hope that taking this drug, along with the other treatment I have had will stop a recurrence of the cancer, I know that sounds obvious but it's why I did it 

Saw my oncologist yesterday, she said the side effects should start to dissipate 3-4 weeks after stopping the tablets. I'm really looking forward to feeling better. I've followed a low fibre diet & can't wait to eat the foods I enjoy again & have the energy to lead a fuller life.

All the best, there will be ups & downs but just try to keep going x

• Thank you for posting and sending virtual hugs to you. I’ve been on Abemaciclib since December 2023, after reacting badly to Ribociclib. At first I had nausea and the usual diarrhoea, however now experiencing the diarrhoea and fatigue. I tend to sleep in the afternoon after a very active job in the morning, so exercise is not working for me. A reduction in the drug has been mentioned but not followed though. 

wishing you the very bestxxxx

My background is Breast Cancer with bone mets, having been on the Optima trial and due to this no Chemo. Lumpectomy,  Lymph node removal and radiotherapy.