Everything tastes horrible

• 5 replies
  • 266 subscribers

Hi all,

I am 3 cycles down of chemotherapy and immunotherapy.My taste is horrible at the moment, everything I'm eating just taste vile.I have a saliva spray that the consultant has prescribed, yet not really doing anything to help.I was wondering if anyone has any tried and tasted options that have worked please.At present I'm lucky if I can eat custard xx

• Hi, I get it! I found the horrid taste one of the most debilitating side effects.  I found cucumber was bearable, as was pineapple.   Best of luck for getting through this phase x

Community Champion badge

• Have you tried Ricola sugar free sweets?

Theres also the gelclair stuff they give you for ulcers. It’s rank but I do find it helps with the horrid cotton mouth and taste if you can do it a couple of times a day. 

I find dairy helps me. Full fat Greek yogurt, plain vanilla ice cream. I think there’s something about it that just helps balance the PH in my mouth 

• Also jacket spuds and cottage cheese. Really soft on the mouth and some good calories 

• Hi. I'm just coming out of this phase in my first cycle. It's been dreadful - couldn't even eat mash at its worst. Everything tasted awful. For me, the creamier the more palatable so plain pasta in cream, creamy yogurts but also cottage cheese was ok and pineapple was great. Improvement in taste now after 6 days. Xx

• Hiya

I feel for you. I had such a time with horrible tastes that even water was hard to swallow with the result being that I got dehydrated. I am now post chemo and post surgery.

All I can suggest is that you keep going and it will get more bearable in time. Just try different types of food to find out what you can stomach. I found creamy pasta was the most palatable. I still cannot eat broccoli (tastes like cement as did peanut butter) but water no longer tastes like metal.

Good luck ! xx