Possible cancer in my other breast now

• 6 replies
  • 266 subscribers

After lumpectomy last year, 3 lymph nodes removed, 15 sessions of radiotherapy and letrozole with terrible side effects, I was finally in recovery and getting my life back together. I then had my annual mammogram and there is calcification in my other breast. I was called back for a magnification mammogram and am now called back for a biopsy.

I am now really scared. Has anyone else been through this scenario? Am I facing surgery again? Was it the same kind of cancer if yours was cancer? Am I looking at chemo this time? Can I have radiotherapy again on the other breast? Why am I suffering so much taking letrozole when this happens?

So many questions and nowhere to ask them.

• Hi Lainey2

Sorry to hear that you might have cancer in your other breast.  It's perfectly understandable that you are scared.  After having surgery last year it was discovered that I had cancer in my lympy node so I had a ct scan and they discovered another tumour in my left breast.  I had radiotherapy on my left breast over three years ago and was able to have it again on that breast earlier on this year though they gave me a lower dose and I had to have 25 sessions of radiotherapy instead of 15.

Wishing you the best of luck with your results and hopefully you'll get the all clear.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, I went through this in May, my 1st surveillance scan after my BC last year showed calcifications in my other breast. I had further imaging and a biopsy -  and it turned out to be benign - just calcifications not sinister. They have put a titanium marker in to mark the spot - which incidentally does set of airport security !!!  so after 3 weeks of anxiety and thinking of having to go through it all again - it was clear  - such a relief. fingers crossed it's the same for you x 

• That you. That really helps me think through what might happen.

• I hope i get the same result as you. Its taking a long time as my first mammogram was may 1st, second may 10th and  biopsy is not till 3rd july. The waiting feels like torture.

• Hello Lainey2,  I am sorry to hear about this and of course it is stressful.  All the tests and waiting for results are not easy.  I am praying that all is a good result and no cancer.  
    My situation was a bit different as had DCIS in right breast which was found due to calculations on mammogram.  No invasive cancer noted.  I thought that was it and plan was lumpectomy, radiation and then Anastrazole.  But after more tests s very small invasive cancer was found in MRI on left breast .  3mm so plan was changed to bilateral lumpectomies, radiation to both breasts and Anastrazole.  I am sure that if MRI was not done that a few years after my first lumpectomy they would have found that tumor.  It is a real shock to have something in both breasts but it is not always cancer.  Hugs to you.  

Barbara 

• I have never had an mri but can only hope the calcification is benign