Mastectomy. Now what?

• 2 replies
  • 266 subscribers

Hi all,

It feels odd expressing how I’m feeling on here. I was diagnosed with Stage 2 BC, Her2 + back in November 2023. I was breastfeeding my 16 month old son and it hadn’t been long since I’d been back from maternity leave. I was told to stop breastfeeding straight away. I went to get the lump checked on a whim; never did I think it would acrisply be cancerous. 
I’ve completed my 6 rounds of chemo, ended up being admitted in hospital on 3 separate occasions, had a lumpectomy last month and then had a mastectomy on Monday (03/06/24). 
It took me a long time accepting my diagnosis. Chemo was hard. I hated it. Not to mention the side effects and then the hot flushes from the early menopause. I never spoke to anyone, except my husband but it was too much for him. I feel like no one will ever understand or can understand how I’m feeling. 
Now I’m feeling completely broken after the mastectomy. I’m young. I never expected it to come to this. I feel sad that everyone gets to move on with their lives, but I have lost a part of me. I’m happy for people getting on with their lives, but I feel I’m stuck in limbo. 

I have an app with the oncology doctor on Friday. 
I just wanted to know from others what to expect from this appointment. I always attend these appointments never knowing what to expect; they literally last 2 minutes and I leave feeling stupid because I didn’t have much to say or discuss. 

Sorry I know it’s information overload on here, but I felt I needed to give some context first. 
Also I have been referred for some counselling. I finally mustered up the courage to speak to my Breastcare nurse about this. 

• It’s horrible. I was diagnosed with grade 3 cancer when I was 13 weeks pregnant. It’s a lot to process. They may discuss follow up treatment which could be drug treatment. Or your treatment may be completed. It depends on whether cancer was in the lymph nodes. When I saw the oncologist I didn’t know what they would say but take someone with you and take notes. If you’re not sure about the treatment ask for a follow up phone call or appointment so you can do some research into the plan. 

• hi Nafeesa

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with breast cancer.  They will discuss any possible further treatment with you.  What treatment you receive will depend on the results from your mastectomy.  If you are having more treatment they will go over the possible side effects of that treatment.

Wishing you the best of luck with your appointment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge