Trying to get my head around it all.

• 4 replies
  • 265 subscribers

Hi,

I am new to all this. I was diagnosed with invasive and non invasive HER2 + breast cancer on both sides which will require 3 cycles of Chemo,  3 cycles of targeted treatment followed by double mastectomy then radiation.  I was coping OK but today I'm spiralling a bit.  I was hoping to continue to work to a certain extent as the cycles of treatment are once every 3 weeks. I work in a small/medium office environment but it is an open office. I don't really have space to work from home but work don't really seem to want to put a plan in place,  rather seem to just want to see how it goes! Has anyone managed to work through treatment? I know if my blood count drops I will need to isolate (sorry for the lengthy post!). I'm normally a very level headed individual and usually the problem solver but I can't seem to work this in my head and feel like I'm beginning to panic. Any words of help most appreciated!

• Hi BagM, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. But at the same time glad that you've got yourself to this supportive space.

My story is different from yours but I just wanted to say welcome and leave a few words of support.

Your diagnosis is pretty recent and it seems pretty normal for your emotions to be fluctuating.  I'm usually quite problem solver myself, I have to keep reminding myself that I've not dealt with anything like this before!

I've had a left mastectomy and right lumpectomy and bilateral sentinel lymph node removal 6wks ago.  Physically recovering well but it continues to be an emotional roller coaster. 

Cancer is recognised as a disability and I believe your employer's are legally bound to put supportive strategies in place.  MacMillan have a really useful booklet about employment. You may also find some useful threads on here re working during treatment.

I am self-employed and have decided to take a few months off.

I wish you well with your treatment. Be gentle with yourself and know that you're doing great.

Big hugs,  Shaka

• Hello BagM,  I am sorry to hear that you are having to put this breast cancer diagnosis into something that makes sense.  It can be like getting hit with a baseball bat ( I haven’t had that experience) and seems almost surreal at times.  You are early in your diagnosis and it can be so overwhelming as do many treatments etc.  Don’t worry on those days you are not coping as it is natural and may take a  while for you to process it all.  My situation was different but I had both breasts that acted up so to speak.  My situation started out with DCIS in right breast and plan was lumpectomy and radiation and hormone blockers.  I actually had said to myself that I could do that and was doing pretty well. Well then it was MRI time and found something in left breast which was stage 1 grade 2 invasive ductal cancer so that meant lumpectomy, radiation to that breast too.  Well I honestly was not expecting it to be cancer and I kind of shut off for awhile making a decision and the surgeon said it was a good thing my cancers were not aggressive as I was a little slow to decide.  Finally I got my act together after a few extra visits with my surgeon and a meeting with radiation oncologist .  You have a different situation as you have to get on with the treatments as Her2 positive tumors need quicker treatment.  I did try to meditate and do relaxation and it helped some.  My advice is just to take each day and get through that day and acknowledge your feelings.  Breast cancer sucks and there are so many things that you have to deal with and we don’t come out the same as when it all started but we are all looking for the best results and to finally get to acceptance.

I was retired when I had BC so didn’t have to deal with it.  Hoping your employer will work with you.  I live in US so don’t know about UK rules. 
    I watch Dr Liz O’Riordan on YouTube and also Dani Binnington Menopause and Cancer.  Excellent information and tips too. 
    Wishing you well with treatment and keep us posted.

Barbara 

• Thank you for your words, at least I know I'm not going completely,  unnecessarily mad. I feel I can approach my workplace and ask for certain solutions instead of waiting for them.

I really hope you continue to recover well and are soon back on your feet soon.

Hugs back 

• Thank you for your words and it certainly is everything you have described and more isn't it? At least you have helped me realise that all these emotions are normal and reasonable and, for now, I feel a little more settled and have a few ideas to approach work with. I hope you all the very best in your continuing journey and I hope I come out the other end with just as much understanding as you have given me, thank you again

Marie