Radiotherapy side effects

• 17 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Hello,

im having 20 sessions of radiotherapy currently. I am on day 4 and I feel absolutely flawed - physically and emotionally. It’s brought me to me knees already.

did anyone else feel like this? Cry

• Hi Twinkie25,  wow sorry you are not feeling well going through the radiation treatments.  I did not have any issues with it except a little itching on breasts at time snd relieved with hydrocortisone, nipple soreness at the beginning of treatment for about the first five days and minor skin redness.  Emotionally I had already been a wreck so was all used up in that area.  I had to have radiation to both breasts and had 16 treatments to each breast and an extra boost of 5 to the right one.  My advice is to just take it easy and if you don’t feel like doing things just do the essential ones.  Try to eat well snd sleep well to keep your strength up snd stay hydrated too.  Hope this feeling is only temporary and you can always talk to your team if it doesn’t clear up.  We are all different in the way we react.  Hugs to you.

Barbara 

• Hi Twinkle , I finished my 5 yesterday and those were tough emotionally . I hadn’t had chemo , so this was the “real” treatment for me. 

its a long day , especially if you have to travel . I came home and had a lie down after mine . I made sure I got a walk every day. 

Plenty of water and keep moisturising .

Be kind to yourself and don’t expect too much . x

• Sorry to hear you’re feeling like this - it must seem a long haul but you will manage with help from your team and your family. 
    I’ve had my second session today and have some redness and swelling. Also aching under my arm even though I haven’t had a problem here before. I have another 8 sessions to go and tomorrow is my birthday so an early morning treat for me. 
    Hope you rest well, moisturise and keep drinking water xxx

• Hallo Twinkle25. I'm sorry you have to go through this. It's not pleasant. 

I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy, but no chemo, and physically I was lucky. But emotionally I was a mess. My partner is a nurse, and she was surprised by how upset I was by radiotherapy - as was I. I came out of the first 3 sessions in tears. 

Luckily, there's a Maggie's Centre next to the cancer department in Edinburgh. I went and spoke to the staff there, and they were brilliant. Gave me lots of helpful tips, which I followed. 

The first was to tell the staff how nervous I was feeling, and to tell them I would like them to talk to me. On my first 3 visits, they were quiet and efficient and then left the room ! I realised it was the first time in my whole treatment process that I'd been left alone. I felt very isolated and vulnerable, lying in the middle of this strange machine. 

Of course, I'd been told to lie very still - bit I didn't know this machine was going to grow arms and legs and approach me from all angles. Normally, if you catch sight of unexpected movement in your peripheral vision, and hear it whirring and clicking, you turn towards it to see what it is. I knew I couldn't. That stressed me out. 

So, when I went for my fourth session, I spoke to the lovely staff. I asked to see all the "arms and legs" of the machine. They couldn't easily do that, but they did tell me it would go through exactly the same order every day. Sadly, they couldn't speak to me during the process because it was an old machine, but, strangely, it helped just to know that. 

I asked the staff to talk to me about anything while they were getting me into place. One woman told me about visiting her mother the day before, for Mother's Day. It really helped to distract me with pleasant thoughts of everyday life. 

Following Maggie's advice, I also asked them to change the music, from fairly loud pop music to quiet sort of whale music. They did that immediately - said it was easy, on someone's phone, played through the speakers. Every session after that, quiet meditative music was playing when I entered the room. So they'd made a note about it, which really helped me to feel I was a person, not a number. One of the staff said she'd never listened to music like that before and really liked it. 

Two other strategies helped me. One was suggested by the counsellor / psychologist which Macmillan and BUPA funded free for six sessions. She suggested I give myself a reward after every session, just for getting through it. She suggested a balloon. So I did that. Every day when I got home, I blew up a balloon. By the end, I had 15 cheerful balloons floating round the sitting-room. 

Finally, I decided to name the radiotherapy machine. I called him Toothless, after the cheeky dragon in "How to Train Your Dragon." Toothless is very powerful but also playful and toothless. For me, this was a good metaphor and reminded me that the machine was there to help me, even if it didn't always feel like that. 

From then on, when the staff left the room, I would look up at the machine and say "Hallo, Toothless" - and start a conversation with him - in my head, so as to keep still ! I felt he became my friend, not my enemy. 

You might think I'm crazy, and you're probably right Smiley but I pass on these tips in the hope that at least one of them is useful. 

At the very least, you'll know you're not alone in being upset by radiotherapy. The staff at Edinburgh said it's very common, and they were glad I'd told them, because then they were aware and were able to do something about it. 

Wishing you all the best. You will soon be through this xxx 

• I love this - thank you so much for taking the time to share this with me. I’m going later today and will picture Toothless - it’s already bringing a smile to my face.

I’ve woke up this morning feeling alot better energised again.

I think it dosent help that yoh have to wait from your operation to this treatment. when I was first diagnosed it hit me very hard but I’ve done a lot of work and have processed it and really felt ready to move on. This has just brought it all right back and made it feel so real. I wasn’t in denial before but I had used a lot of my strength emotionally to get to this point. This is pushing for more strength when I just don’t want to fight anymore. I want to just live my normal life. 

• So glad Toothless made you smile Smiley  We need all the smiles we can get during cancer. 

Yes, the wait between surgery and radiotherapy is hard. Like you, I had sort of got back to normal when suddenly cancer became very real again. 

I think, for me, I became aware that in the run-up to surgery I was surrounded by people. Then the general anaesthetic knocked me out, and when I woke up, there were lots of friendly faces again. 

But with radiotherapy, you are conscious and alone. You're also naked from the waist up and lying with your hands above your head. And you're not allowed to move. How vulnerable is that ?! 

As I looked around the room, I remember thinking "This is a really expensive bit of kit, so I must be really ill to be here." 

Weird what goes through your mind, eh. 

You will find a new normal, but it might take a while. I was lucky. I had very little soreness after radiotherapy, but I did feel tired for about a fortnight after it finished, just as they said I might. It was a great excuse to be lazy. 

Have you decided what treat you're going to give yourself today ? 

Give my regards to Toothless. 

• Yes! I had a very similar feeling in the car on the way home yesterday. I thought wow - this is serious treatment here. The way they are so precise about making sure it’s lined up properly and missing your organs etc. it’s serious business.  

yes also - it’s just you in the room. What they are doing is so intense that other people can’t be in the same room as it.

it’s a lot to get your head around. 

with all this said - aren’t we so lucky to have this treatment available to us Heart

• Also I’m not sure about the treat but you are right, I will! 

• I found it hard when the the buzzer went off , so the machine was “armed @ and the staff left . I had to do the breath hold and on the last day the guidance screen failed , so I had to do it guided by voice only. I was panicking thaf they would get it wrong , they didn’t tell me thaf they could still check my breathing by the monitor on my tummy ! 

• Yes - I am not doing the breathing but I do think about it when I am lying there. That must have been so hard / scary to have to hold your breath!