Starting treatment

• 3 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma in one breast. It has not spread to my lymph nodes which is good news and I will be having 8 cycles of chemotherapy and immunotherapy before surgery and then radiotherapy. My treatment is due to start in the next couple of weeks. 

I've read lots of posts on here as well as a very helpful blog on tips and hints for treatment and have started compiling a list of items that will help.

So far I have on the list:

Wig/hats/scarves etc, a good pair of sunglasses, pocket diary to keep track of my meds and side effects, heartburn meds, soft toothbrush, boiled fruit sweets, immodium, Tissues, antihistamine, soft hairbrush. 

Is there anything else you would recommend? I'm thinking I will likely need some kind of special pillow for sleeping post surgery? 

Open to any and all recommendations

Thanks for reading 

• Hi MrsHyx

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer.  Get a heart shaped pillow for sleeping post surgery.  What I also suggest is that you bring something to keep you occupied while you are receiving your chemo, a book for example or download something to watch on a tablet.  Make sure you drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins and bring some snacks with you as well though your chemo ward may give a cup of tea and biscuits or cake and if you are still there at lunch time they will probably give you a sandwich.

Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment and hopefully the side effects will be kind to you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

•  Future Dreams Breast Cancer Charity have some really useful information sheets covering many aspects of your cancer journey 

• Thank you so much. I've just had a look and it's really useful. My shopping list is ever growing!