I have a diagnosis

• 8 replies
  • 263 subscribers

I posted on here a few days ago about waiting time.

I spoke with my doctor who thought it was quite acceptable to wait 5 and half weeks from being referred to having an appointment.

I have a massive fear of hospitals and knew if I waited that long I would have worked myself up to a point of not going. In the end I paid private using the money we had scrimped and saved to have our 1st proper holiday next month. We already cancelled due to having a poorly dog.

I saw the breast consultant with my husband, had mamogram, then a slightly different mamogram followed by ultra sound on both breasts, hubby not with me. The consultant radiologist wanted to do a biopsy, due that be extra cost I needed to speak with hubby and to have him with me during the procedure.

Result is I do have breast cancer and will have the biopsy results back in 10 days which will tell me the grading etc. The consultant says she is impressed with me actually finding the lump due size and position. I take that as a positive.

I'm being referred back to the NHS and will have lumpectomy, it depends on the biopsy results whether I will need radiotherapy or not.

Has anyone had a lumpectomy not under general anesthetic? And could you have someone with you?

As I've said, I have a massive fear of hospitals and absolute terrified of having a GA and don't trust what happens when you are asleep.

I've had lots of tears in the last few weeks, since being referred and having to have our poorly dog pts 17 days ago. But nothing since yesterday, don't know if this is normal or I feel numb or if its just relief knowing one way or the other and not being in limbo.

S x

• I feel for you . Because I had a covid vaccine the Practice Nurse  would not refer me for follow up for six weeks. Swelling in my Lymph nodes under right arm. Turned out to be Hodkins  Lymphoma. Its  been a bumpy ride two hospital admissions. However the chemo has worked and the cancer has gone. Best wishes , the treatments are so much more successful now. Link in with the Macmillan Nurses they have been amazing.

• Hi Redc, once you get your results back from your biopsy that will tell you more about your tumour. After surgery and the histology report from that, that will also give them further information as to whether you will need chemotherapy, radiotherapy, hormone treatment and or immunotherapy. Generally these would all be undertaken in hospital. Having such a fear of hospitals hopefully you can take hubby with you each time to help and support you with your fear. As for having a lumpectomy under local I’m not sure that this could be done as it is quite an invasive procedure and usually needs to be done in an operating theatre under general anaesthetic. As for having your husband there in an operating theatre that is also probably not allowed. All you can do is speak to your medical team and explain things to them to see what they can do to help accommodate to make things as less fearful as possible for you. The team at Macmillan are great and you can always chat/message the nurses here to for advice. When I had my lumpectomy i said goodbye to my hubby in my room (I was lucky enough to go private) walked with my anaesthetist to the prep room where there was my surgeon waiting to greet me and whilst they were getting me ready they chatted with me about things to help put me at ease. Whilst I was a bit nervous I did feel completely comfortable with my whole medical team. When I woke up from the anaesthetic I had a nurse talking to me to make sure all was ok and then within a few minutes I was taken back to my room to rest and then slowly get up and dressed ready to go. 
    wishing you all the best and maybe there is someone who has had this procedure under a local that can advise more. 
    Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Hi Redc, I empathise entirely with you because I too had this overwhelming fear of hospital procedures and especially of anaesthesia. (I had never had one). At my initial consultation, when I was given my diagnosis, I told the consultant and the breast care nurse how I felt. I also gave them the reason for it. They could not have been more supportive. I was referred to a hospital psychologist. Prior to surgery I was shown round the day surgery unit. My husband was allowed to be with me throughout the day and we were given a treatment room in which we could be together. He was allowed into the anaesthetic room and was with me right up until the time I lost consciousness. The nurses were truly wonderful and everyone got me through. When I came round there was a nurse with me and I had no effects at all from the anaesthetic. I went to theatre at  2.15 and was home by 7pm. I was amazed at how well I felt post-op and was fortunate that I required no pain relief. I was up and about the next day at the usual time. The whole procedure was nowhere near as challenging as I thought it might be. I had to go back to theatre four weeks later as margins were not close enough. Knowing what to expect made it so much easier, but again the staff put in all the same measures as before to support me. I was also put first on the operating list on both occasions so I didn't have to wait any longer than necessary. Sending love and best wishes. xx

• Thank you for the replies.

I haven't had a general anesthetic before and only been in hospital twice. Both times to give birth to 2 of my 4 children.

When I was around 7 years old I was knocked out at the dentist, think it was gas, I woke frightened and with a huge wad of cotton material stuffed in my mouth. A year, different dentist, I was terrified and screamed the place down. I ended up with my mum and 2 nurses holding me down and a clamp in my mouth to keep it open.

I've been scared of dentists and hospitals ever since, I'm nearly 61. I couldn't wear a mask in covid as I can't stand anything over my mouth.

So the thought of going under and being out of control is terrifying.

• Hi Redc,

I’m a similar age to you and can remember those terrifying 70s dentist’s appointments.  I promise, it’s nothing like that.  
    I had lumpectomy and SLNB this Wednesday, NHS, everyone was super lovely.   I wasn’t afraid of being alone but very nervous of general anaesthetic, it was fine and I honestly wouldn’t mind if I had to have it again, it was way less scary than I’d anticipated.  
    I woke up with a nurse in the recovery room, had a cup of tea and some codeine (which I don’t think I even really needed) and after a time was taken to a ward (I stayed overnight because there are no other adults in my house). 
    I haven’t felt any pain at all, the dressing over where the lump has been removed is very small (my lump was only 9mm) and I literally couldn’t feel any pain there.  A wee bit achy under my arm from the SLNB but definitely not pain.   That was 4 days ago and I pretty much feel normal now.  
    It was all so much less dramatic than I thought it would be.   You’ll be fine, I promise, forget the childhood dentists, they’re long gone, it’s nothing at all like that x

• Hi Redc,  oh I can sympathize with you as my older sister was so afraid of dentists and doctors.  I do remember the days of the dentist as I am 75 so had a dentist with huge hands and his office had a funky smell.  Well those days are over and I have had many general anesthetics for different surgeries and it is miraculous as it is a tranquil drifting off with a nice feeling.  They give you an injection and then you just take a breath or two from the mask and then wake up in recovery room.  I have had nausea afterwards but that was for longer operation so always make them aware and they give me anti nausea medicine.  Just tell them how scared you are and they will understand and meet your needs.  
    Hugs to you and I had surgeries in 2021 and 2022 for breast cancer but feeling so great even in the Anastrazole.  I just keep going on and 

Barbara 

• I remember the mask being brought towards me whatever they put in my arm knocked me out first.

i was nauseous afterwards but they gave me something and I was eating a cheese sandwich an hour later . I hope you feel reassured by others experiences x 

• I have recently had 2 lumpectomies and the first one was I really nervous about as I has never had GA before. The anaesthetist and staff were great. The second time I was much more relaxed. Tell the staff your concerns and they will help you overcome them.