Chemo

• 7 replies
  • 254 subscribers

Hi , I had my 1st session of chemo 4 days ago,  and I am still feeling awful, no sickness thank the lord, just generally ill, I hate being out of control,  how long does it take to start feeling a little better, have to gave  5 more sessions,  I can't see myself coping,  I am seriously thinking about stopping the chemotherapy and just have radiotherapy,  I'm 67 years old, anyone felt the same ? X

• Hi, I have done 5/6 rounds now. I have found each round very consistent, you do find a pattern which has helped me to cope with each round. I know everyone is different, but I found the 1st round the worst, I had every symptom going. 
    By the end of day 7 I am normally feeling much better. Day 4 is always my worst day. 
    I wanted to give up too, it’s so hard, but I’m now so happy I am facing my last round this Friday. Keep going, you’re doing amazing. It really is tough xx

• Hi millie123, thanks for that, I just don't know what is best, I'm now in agony with pain in my groin, don't go away , I have just had enough 

• You can do it.  Everyone’s side effects differ but from what I have learned along the way they are all pretty awful. However you can do it.  I have had 4 sessions - 2 to go.  I honestly cannot wait for Chemo to be over but I see it like this - If I don’t give myself the best chance of survival I will be letting myself down and my family and friends who are all routing for my recovery.

It isn’t pleasant but neither is this awful disease - we can do it!!!

• Hi Trigsgirl

I am on day 7 of my first cycle of 6 EC sessions. I found the first 3 days ok, just very tired and brain a bit AWOL! I then got a virus ( I hadn't been anywhere but the hospital!) so felt really rubbish on days 5 and 6. On taking advice, I was seen by Acute Oncology yesterday who were brilliant. I was tested for all sorts, given IV antibiotics and sent home. I feel much better today and much more "normal ". I've taken our dog for a walk and been to the supermarket (wearing a mask and keeping a distance!) then put my feet up this afternoon as I was feeling a bit tired. I am 65 years old and something of a control freak so it is hard to have so little control!

I'm sure the subsequent cycles will be easier as I will know what to expect, and hopefully will avoid another virus. I've kept a daily diary so I know roughly what to expect next time. My view is that this process is pretty short lived, as opposed to my lifespan because I've gone through this. I may be weird but find it helpful to picture the chemo as smiley pacman type creatures swarming round my body devouring little devil horned creatures lurking in dark corners! I remembered someone else on the chat saying "Chemo is my friend" and I've embraced that.

I hope as you will undoubtedly start to feel better in the next couple of days or so that you too can see Chemo as your friend Heart

• Hi, JustLikeMaryPoppins,

Thanks, that has helped me a lot, I too am a control freak, and I feel so lost , hate having all these aches and pains, having no control,  now when I eat I get a feeling in my chest like the food is still there and it won't go down, hopefully I will start to feel better soon, but then it will start all over again, good luck with the rest of your treatment,  big hugs x

• I'm so glad that's helped you, as others have me. The trouble is with this treatment, it makes you aware of things you normally wouldn't even notice! Digestive issues are definitely high on the list. 

Good luck to you too, you'll get through it and be so proud you did so well! Heart

• Hi, hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I’m also a control freak and struggled with this too.  What worked best for me was to really focus on the stuff I could actually control - going for a walk for example, and tried hard to push aside the stuff that was just happening.  Best of luck in getting through this phase 

Community Champion badge