Starting Abemaciclib are the side effects really bad?

• 4 replies
  • 246 subscribers

I realise everyone is different but Im due to have my blood tests ready to start abemaciclib. I had treatment with docetaxel and cyclophosphamide which gave me the poops really bad. I'm worried this one will do the same. I'm just recovering from radiotherapy and breast boost so very breathless with asthma so worried about that too. We booked a holiday way back in Jan because we thought I'd be well enough by then. I'm thinking we may have to cancel its in june. How have other people reacted to this drug? Ta

• They start us all on top dose of 150mg twice daily.  You will also be given diarrhoea capsules so there’s a clue!  There are many on here that get on very well with the top dose and as you say, we are all different.  Try not to worry about it as the dose can be reduced to 100mg and if necessary to 50mg.  If your holiday is abroad, I would speak to oncology for guidance. 
    my own experience (been on it 15 months) is that I had to be reduced to 50mg and since then I’ve been fine and had holidays abroad with no problems.  You could very well be ok on 150mg. Anyway,  I hope you tolerate it well and wish you all the best. M x

• Hi, I’ve been on it 6 months. I still get diarrhoea 1-2 times a week but I am still managing 150mgs. For me the diarrhoea was worse during the first month and seemed to have settled into present pattern after 3 months. The loperamide works too well for me and I usually don’t go again for 48 hrs after taking it but we are all different. Take Abemaciclib with an open mind. I know when you start the drug 2 years feels such a long time. Enjoy your holiday- Loperamide will be your friend as I take it at times “just in case”. 

• Thanks it's like going back to square one xxx

• Thanks I hope I get on with the loperamide. One of the drugs gave me bad nightmares and I woke with a feeling of doom. Can't remember if it was the loperamide or donperidone lol hopefully this time will be better