Slight swelling on breast after treatement

• 3 replies
  • 246 subscribers

Hello everyone! Thought I’d ask cause I’m going a bit nuts.

Had chemo, surgery to remove tumour and some lymph nodes, another surgery to remove all nodes, radiotherapy and now on letrozole and phesgo.

My breast is swollen slightly. It’s been 2 months since radio. It might have been swollen earlier for all I know but my right side was for a while a warm shade of brown so I wasn’t comparing. Anyone had that? I told the nurse during my phesgo appointment she didn’t seem to worry as long as it doesn’t burn or hurt. Told me to talk about it at the next consultation… May 28… Still worried. Cant find any lumps or anything but…

Been moisturising and exercising (the exercises that were recommended) anything else I can do?

On another note, I gotta get my teeth fixed so delaying Zol acid treatment till then. It’ll take a few months. Should be ok?

Thank you!

• Hi  , definitely point it out at your next consultation. I can only speak from my own experience, I’m not a medic…. I noticed that my treated breast had ended up bigger than the other, despite being scooped out and radiated. I’d read that radiation could shrink the breast a bit so was surprised that mine was actually bigger. And it had been the smaller one to start with! Anyway I asked about it at my post radiotherapy appointment with the oncologist, which was 10 weeks after rads finished. They agreed that it was bigger, and also thought it was warmer than the other. I had other skin effects but they weren’t concerned about them. I was given a course of antibiotics in case of an underlying infection and also referred back to the breast clinic and to the lymphoedema service. The lympheodema nurse diagnosed mild lympheodema and advised various things including taking up Nordic walking - I did a course straight away and am still Nordic walking with a local group and I love it! At a lympheodema follow up, the nurse was so pleased with my progress that she signed me off. It’s a lifelong condition but I seem to be lucky that it’s mild and manageable. At the breast clinic they examined it and said they can’t predict who’ll get side effects (from rads) and who won’t, but that my breast clearly hadn’t liked it much! At that point I still had weird scales on the skin and my nipple was very painful and inverted. It’s slowly resolved and I’m now over 5 years down the line. 
    Hope you get some answers, I’d definitely ask about lymphoedema. It seems it’s a less well known side effect of radiotherapy but I did find reference to it in the booklet I’d been given pre radiotherapy. I just hadn’t noticed it and it’s more usually mentioned with regard to lymph node surgery. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Thank you very much for the answer. I also feel that it’s warmer than the other side. Will go by the hospital today see if I can bug them into checking it out. 

All the best Heart

• Just an update in case anyone has the same issue. Called the MacMillan nurse. Have an appointment with the breast clinic I believe to have it checked in two weeks. She said if I get fever or pain to go to the AnE or my GP.

On another note: I’m finally going on holidays back to my family -and getting my teeth fixed which my oncologist said I should do before getting the next meds- and I feel like EVERYTHING has to be arranged for the week I’m away. My echocardiogram had to be rescheduled over a month later. Either don’t plan anything or feel guilty for moving appointments around it.