Recovery from mastectomy with lymph node clearance

• 5 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Anybody that has had a mastectomy and lymph node clearance, how long was your recovery and how long did it take for your arm/shoulder to be less stiff and for the pain to go. 

• Hi, I had mastectomy and level 3 axillary lymph node clearance on 18th March..so 5 weeks ago. Stiffness virtually gone. I'm still doing those exercises daily. My most painful thing was a section of arm about 4 inches away from armpit and I had to come up with ways to avoid anything at all touching it but that is also nearly normal. 

• I find my arm near my armpit painful and it seems worse when I lie down which is making it hard to rest and sleep. I’m trying to do the exercises but some of the exercises are very painful and my arm is stiff. It’s reassuring that it will get better in a few weeks 

• I really struggled with sleeping and ended up with a strange arrangement of pillows and cushions.  I tried a compression  sleeve and also turned my clothes inside out to stop seams rubbing against my skin. I ended up buying long sleeve leotards to wear. I had a physio session online with a Macmillan physio too.

• Hi there. I had a masectomy and full clearance on 10 March 6 weeks ago and additional surgery on breast on the 15th April as the margins weren’t clear. I have religiously been doing the exercises and some, every day, however, literally in the last 2 days I have just gained virtually full feeling back in my arm and can lift it to Just over 90 degrees. 
    For  the first few weeks the arm was totally lacking stength and struggled to even swing it when walking. It will come back. Before this I was very active, running, biking and swimming and so had fuBlush mobility and strength. I’m sure it will all return with exercises and time Blush

• Hopefully my movement will come back like yours. Thank you