Phesgo side effects

• 7 replies
  • 249 subscribers

Hi

i I am two thirds of the way through my chemotherapy treatment. I have docetaxil and Carboplatin.  I also have Phesgo and Zemeta.

My altered taste, sensation of food in my mouth and general mouth soreness is awful.  Everything tastes like acid. Meat feels dreadful in my mouth - like gritty rubber.

I have two 3 wkly cycles of Chemo to go.  I cannot wait for it to be over - BUT - I will have Phesgo 3wkly for a year.  I am really worried that my altered taste will continue. Because I have chemo and Phesgo together at the moment I’m not sure what is causing which side effects.

I really do not think I can survive a year on Phesgo if this is the cause.  I am so hungry but eating is trial.  Has anyone else experienced altered taste on Phesgo.

TIA

xx

• Hi Gloriaj, sorry you are experiencing difficulties with taste and texture. I had Phesgo and docetaxel together and also found food didn’t taste particularly good. When the docetaxel finished I found I got my taste back and didn’t have any issues with food when I was just on Phesgo. I didn’t have the other drugs you mentioned so I don’t know if they would cause this issue in combo. To help with the mouth soreness you could ask for some mouthwash. I had some called Genclair. It worked a treat and tasted a bit like bonjela. 
    Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Hi there, I had the same treatment as you and similar nasty side effects, the food taste is just awful, isn't it.  Once the chemo stopped, the phesgo continued for 12 cycles and I had no side effects whatsoever from that.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Thank you for your reply.  I’m so hoping it is the Docetaxol causing my issues.  I have Diflam mouthwash which numbs the soreness for about 15 minutes at a time.  
    They just can’t prepare you for the side effects of these medications but hopefully they will save my life xx

• Thank you so much. I really hope it is the same for me xx

• Hi GloriaJ

yes same for me as the others that have replied!

once the chemo cycles finished - I was actually changed from Phesgo to just herceptin jabs every 3 weeks .. I have 10 left but so far there have been no effects on appetite/taste or anything like chemo side effects so hopefully it’ll be the same for you! Good luck x

• My taste if just fine in Phesgo and I’m enjoying eating again. The only side effects I have is diarrhoea -not too bad- and being tired -again not too bad. Doesn’t compare with chemo. Doxetaxel was the worst for me. I had to wait after chemo and surgery to start Phesgo because my HER2 results were coming back borderline every time, but since I’ve started it all has been reasonably good.

Best of luck

• I only had taste change when in chemo for about a week and half after chemo then was fine for week and half, once chemo was finished and was only on phesgo only i didn't lose taste