Capecitabine palliative good news?

• 2 replies
  • 247 subscribers

Hey everyone,

Any good news would be greatly appreciated.

So, the story. A year and a half ago, my wife (30yo) was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer in her left breast, grade 3.

She underwent lots of chemo, immunotherapy, and then had surgery.

Unfortunately, four weeks after the surgery, she had a recurrence of the breast cancer in a significant way, with the breast riddled with lesions again, as well as lymph nodes involved.

She has been put on capecitabine and has been told it’s palliative in nature.

Where does she stand with this? It’s locally advanced but not spread at a distance.

Has anybody been on capecitabine and had success?

How much longer is she looking at?

We have a four-year-old, and I’m so scared all the time that my wife has only months left.

Any kind of info would be greatly appreciated.

• Hello Mr Power. 
    I am sorry I can’t answer your question. I went through breast cancer last year and I just wanted to say good luck to your wife and family. I really hope someone has some answers for you. 

• Hi Mr Power, I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. I have TNBC and am now on Capecitabine but am only on Cycle 2 so far so haven't had a lot of experience on the drug yet and am waiting on scan results so unsure as to whether it's advanced or not. When I spoke to the breast care nurse yesterday, she said it's 'a very good drug', so should hopefully keep things in check for a while. I guess it's different for everyone so very difficult to say how long, which is obviously what you all want to know! One thing I would say is that daily gentle exercise has really helped me so far in terms of mental and physical strength and I'm hoping this will improve the efficacy of the drugs.