Just a few questions

• 3 replies
  • 246 subscribers

Had a mastectomy 2 wks ago and healing well. Few questions though.........

I smell, not of BO but just a weird smell coming from my armpit. Hubby says I'm being paranoid but I'm convinced I do. I had lymph nodes removed and wondered if it's anything to do with it?

When can I start wearing deodorant again on my 'bad' side?

How long, in general, until reconstruction can take place?

Thanks x

• Hello there, 

I too had a mastectomy and lymph node clearance 5 weeks ago now. I had a prevena dressing which staying in place for about 16 days and I recovered well. I am pleased to read you are too. 

I didn’t have any feeling under my arm and a lot of my arm for some time and I have done my exercises and some. The feeling has returned in the main for my arm, but I still can’t feel a lot of my underarm. I sponge washed daily as was unable to shower or bathe, and after the dressing was off I used roll on deodorant. As I don’t have any feeling there I haven’t shaved or removed the hair yet. I didn’t have any specific issues with smelling other than more feeling un clean and it is a challenge to clean areas when you can’t feel anything! 

I had a reconstruction at the same time, so I can’t help with your final question. Due to margins not being clear, I am having the skin and nipple removed tomorrow and the reconstruction being removed and re done in a different manner. I am sharing this as this will be 5 weeks from the previous op if this helps with your time frame thoughts. 

Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

• Hi Hotmess80

That’s strange as I’ve had that too. It’s an unusual but unpleasant smell that’s difficult to describe & not one I’ve had before if I hadn’t used deodorant (not often!). I had a lumpectomy 2/2 & follow up surgery 19/2 to clear up infection & remove more cells that cancer had been found in. Flannel washed under arms daily & couldn’t use deodorant 6-8 weeks but still could notice smell. I had a port fitted in upper arm under my skin as need chemo &  wasn’t able to use deodorant very much again & the smell is back stronger. I was beginning to wonder if I could actually smell the cancer!! (Mad I know Laughing)

• After my surgery I had a strange smell under my armpit, same side as surgery.  Fortunately it went after a couple of weeks.