Surgery Date

• 10 replies
  • 253 subscribers

Hello. So I finally have a provisional date for surgery, 23rd April. Was diagnosed in January with 2 x IDC and the waiting has been horrendous. Will be having Therapeutic Mammoplasty with a reduction on the healthy breast for symmetry. I am a GG cup and they have said I will end up a C/D cup. Bit anxious about a 4 to 6 hour surgery but got to be done. Any advice to prepare myself and home for after surgery would be most welcome. 

• Hi EvelynA

Glad to hear that you have a date for your surgery.  Make sure you bring something with you to keep yourself occupied as there can be a bit of waiting around for surgery to begin.  Wear something comfortable and easy to put on and take off.  Make sure you have some dinners in the freezer as you probably won't feel like cooking.  You won't be able to do any heavy lifting for about six weeks after the operation so if you have someone at home to help out let them do the heavy lifting for you.  Listen to your body and rest when you need to.

Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi there. Glad you have a date. If it helps I was much the same. Urgent referral November, diagnosed December, full diagnosis in Feb then mastectomy March. I agree the waiting is hard. I had a left mastectomy and lymph node clearance. The lymph node removal meant I haven’t been able to use my left arm from some time.  Mine was a 4 hour op on 10 March. I would suggest: 

clothes that can be done up from the front - button pyjamas/nighwear - i’ve worn zip up hoodies every day for ease.

I didn’t put a bra on until the dressings were removed. Then I have used a mastectomy bra - fastening at the front from M&S.

Slip on shoes - you will probably have to wear compression socks every day so slip or shoes are best - I unashamedly wore sliders every day as I couldn’t do my shoes up 

At home, I only wanted soup, fruit and  sandwiches for the first week, so suggest prep anything in advance for the freezer in case. 

Flannel/sponge for a wash 

moisturiser for your legs as the compression socks dry them out 

If taking codeine, have laxatives ready - I was caught out with this as it’s not fun!

Finally, be kind to yourself and just rest 

Hope it goes well 

• Thank you so much, that is great advice. I live alone but my daughter is going to come and stay with me following surgery. How long do you think I would need to have her stay for?  I.e when do you think I would be ok to be on my own? 
    thanks again 

• I would suggest about 5 days or at least 3. I was super tired the first week and didn’t get dressed properly - PJs only -  but having someone prep food, tidy up was super. Also things like you may want help to wash your hair or pop a wash on. Good luck 

• Hi, Good you've now got a date, it'll come round quickly. I've just had my mastectomy this week and am on day 4 at home post op. The waiting is difficult. On the day of the op, I had to wait till lunchtime to be taken which was hard - I flicked through a magazine, filled in forms, watched comedy on my iPad. I was very nervous but the staff were all so kind and supportive and helped. I took in my slippers and stayed in the hospital gown rather than my PJs. Front fastening bra and shirt/cardi make life easier. At home, I've managed to get dressed but can feel really wiped out and have slept most afternoons. Have food prepared, I'm just fancying plain food and I agree about the constipation - I've just started fybogel. Taking it easy, pottering about, resting and repeat is what I'm finding most helpful. Managed a shower and washed my hair which was just the best yesterday, felt more like myself. Having someone around at least the first 3-5 days would be really helpful I think.

• Hi EvlynA

I was diagnosed on 21st Dec with 1xIDC Grade 3, 32mm ER positive,  HER2 negative. I had surgery on 19th February and can definitely confirm all the waiting from diagnosis is the worst! My surgery was performed in the afternoon and I was home in time for lunch the following day with no drains necessary, just a compression dressing which was kept on for two days. I was amazed that there was just discomfort, at no time did I experience what I would describe as pain. At home I just took Ibuprofen and Paracetamol together as it's as effective as Codeine but doesn't cause constipation. I gradually reduced the 4 times daily over the next 4-5 days to needing nothing at all. The sorest part was from the 3 Lymph nodes removed where I felt as though my arm was grazed and the armpit was numb. This gradually improved to feeling normal again after about 4 weeks. 

All the advice from others is perfect, do as little as possible in the first week, I did go out for a short walk towards the end of the first week but otherwise rested. Be sure to do your exercises from the day after surgery and you will be amazed at how quickly you regain mobility. I found sleeping on my back very hard as I'm not used to it but now, nearly six weeks on, I am pretty much feeling back to normal and can sleep on my side again - bliss!

The cosmetic effects of the surgery are very unexpected, they look amazing, actually better than the 65 year old originals!! I really was not expecting this and to be so pleased with the results is a huge boost to my self esteem. I reduced by about 1 cup size and am now about a D cup. After my 3rd week check and removal of the dressings, I bought a couple of post surgery bras in M&S. They fasten up the front with hooks and velcro and I wear them 24/7, they are so comfortable and give enough support. My consultant said to keep steristrips on the scar lines (which have completely healed) for 3 months as it will keep the scars flat. 

I had my results last week, another hideous wait! So relieved margins were clear (they can take a larger margin with this procedure) as were the Lymph nodes. Interestingly, I had been taking Letrozole for 6 weeks before surgery and the tumour had shrunk from 32mm to 21mm! I wasn't expecting that! My Oncotype score was 36, so high.

Have got my date of 24th April for 6 cycles of preventative EC Chemo (more trepidation but light at the end of the tunnel now) then Radiotherapy. I feel I can actually look ahead to 'feeling normal' again!

Sending you very best wishes for your surgery and onward journey, I'm sure it will be much better than you're expecting! xx

• Forgot to say the important bit, I had exactly the same surgery as you're having! 

• Sorry, in all that, forgot to say I had exactly the same surgery as you're having! xx

• Hello

Just wanted to jump in on this as I had my mastectomy recently on the 19th Feb, 7 weeks after my diagnosis. 
    Some great advise has already been provided and it’s invaluable.

I read and read everything I could to prepare and planned for the worse but hoped for the best.

My surgery was 3 hours without recon.

The only advice I can add to what’s already been provided is I would say have some throat lozenges to hand as I had such a sore throat for about 4 days after the Op from the breathing tube.

Of course we all react differently but I’ve found it not to be as bad as I mentally prepared for. Stick with the exercises and follow the advice provided.

Having to sleep on my back was not natural or comfy for me so I got as many pillows as I could to prop myself into a comfy position. I also listen to audiobooks to help nod off and find some sleep.

Wishing you the very best for your op and a speedy recovery. Xx