Fibrosis of the lungs caused by radiotherapy.

• 3 replies
  • 251 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I went for my annual check up at the breast clinic on Friday only to be told that my CT scan i had last year showed i had fibrosis of the lungs caused by my radiotherapy treatment. I have had a persistent cough for the past 4 months and could I get an appointment at the doctors. Hell no! No one at the surgery seems to answer the phone and when they do you are 15th in the queue for an hour. Are people giving their life story over the phone instead of making an appointment!

Why was I not told or called in earlier. Why wait for my annual check up! I am flabbergasted to be told by the doctor sorry but you have scarring (fibrosis ) of the lungs caused by my radiotherapy treatment and there is no cure and it will probably get worse over time. He did say a lot of other things but I could only see his mouth moving and did not hear what he was saying as I was in total shock. I am still trying to process it all. So now I have 2 side effects from radiotherapy. Lymphedema in my arm and now fibrosis of the lungs.

Can anyone please give me more information or has anybody else been through side effects from treatment. 

Thank you.

Redbull

• Hi, sorry to hear you're experiencing this late side effect and how incredibly frustrating that you've only just been told.  I guess you have to persist with trying to see the GP, can you go into your surgery to make an appointment? I must admit when I do that and say it's cancer related, they become very sympathetic.

i also wanted to share this information from Macmillan that might be of interest for you.  And don't forget you can call their helpline in 0800 808 0000 if you want to chat to someone. Best wishes 

Radiation side effects

Community Champion badge

• Thank you so much Irishgirl16. 

Big hugs.

• Hi Redbull, how awful. Can I say from experience that GPs don't have enough knowledge of pulmonary fibrosis. You need to be referred to a respitory consultant. A drug called Perfinidone can slow the progress but its essential you see a respitory consultant to discuss options. I wish you all the best xx