Starting chemo in 4 days

• 13 replies
  • 252 subscribers

I’ll be starting my treatment journey ..starting with  chemo on Tuesday …I’m finding it so difficult to explain how I’m feeling ..I’m so scared and can’t help but think these are my last days of feeling normal and being able to do normal things… am I overthinking this? I’d really appreciate hearing someone else’s feelings on this but obviously know we’re all different and will react to treatment differently 

• Hi Mum of 3, chemo isnt easy but it wasn’t as difficult as I feared. I started chemo 12th April last year. Chemo is not pleasant but it’s doable. The physical effects I was expecting, what I wasn’t expecting was the low mood I experienced at times. 
    One year on from chemo it is a distant memory, I have a full head of curly hair (previously it was straight.) I’m still having treatment, on the targeted drug Abemaciclib, but life is relatively normal. I have excepted my cancer diagnosis. For me the psychological aspects of breast cancer have been more difficult than the physical treatments and their side effects. My advice is take each day as it comes, try and keep as physically active as you are able, except help, don’t try and be superwoman. 

• Oh bless you thank you so much for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it….. it’s the constant ‘not knowing’ I guess. 
    Thank you again and am loving the fact you are back to near on normal with your full head of curls too … take care x 

• I started my first cycle 2 weeks ago (EC) I made the mistake of taking ibuprofen for a mild headache from cold cap on first evening which really upset my tummy ( nausea and vomiting) but other than that a little alternating between constipation and diahorrea and some fatigue I’ve found it no where near as awful as I had worried about. Past week I’ve been back to pretty much normal - bracing now for round 2. I found the helpline amazing and very supportive and I was quickly provided with medication needed to manage my upset tum after ibuprofen faux pax. Drink lots of water, ginger biscuits help with nausea and get out for walks/ light exercise when you can - it’s good for mental health as well as body. Someone suggested sucking frozen grapes during infusion and this may have helped as I’ve had no mouth ulcers. I was also told that a loratadine (antihistamine) before Filgrastim injection help with allergic reactions- had no symptoms from that either. Good luck with everything-and remember even if you have a few rotten days just think if it can make you feel rubbish then it must be absolutely destroying those horrible little cells! It’s a means to an end xx

• I am also starting my treatment journey on Tuesday have 6 months of chemo good luck hope it is ok for you

• Oh wow really, how are you feeling about it all? X

• Thank you so much for all this I so appreciate it, it’s all so daunting but your words have certainly helped. 
    I wish you lots of luck with everything, take xx 

• Quite worried especially with the chemo being for so long have you got a timeline

• Hi, I had chemo in 2021, it seems like a lifetime ago now. Here's my blog post, which you might find helpful as it's the stuff I wish I'd known.  Best wishes 

Chemo blog

Community Champion badge

• Yes they’ve said 8 cylcles (every 3 weeks) with immunotherapy on the other weeks taking me up to August ish… how long is yours for? 

• Thank you I’ll give it a read and well done you x