Incidental breast cancer find

• 3 replies
  • 268 subscribers

I went to my GP on 22nd December as I noticed skin was puckered and hard cord/rope going through my left breast. It was a 4 week wait for a mammogram and ultra sound appointment.

My surgeon requested a MRI with contrast as the mammogram and ultra sound results showed no evidence of anything untoward. I received a call the next morning for the MRI appointment in 4 days time.

I have an App I use for my local hospital which sends you your appointments and after visit summary's etc. I received a message for a recall appointment to have a Tomosythesis scan(3D mammogram) and an ultra sound on my right breast. I went into a complete meltdown as no one had spoken to me and it was for my right breast!

The MRI had picked up a hidden tumour, a biopsy was taken and I received the news on the 22nd February that I have grade 2 breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy and senitel lymph nodes removed on 15th March.

I thank my surgeon for his thoroughness by sending me for the MRI if I hadn't, it would be a different story. I have been advised that moving forward any mammogram will be accompanied with an MRI as standard.

I am now in that waiting game and due to get results of staging and next treatment on 22nd April. Its a common occurrence of 22's

Its HER-2 so I will also have medication for the next 5 years. I'm concerned today as the incision under my armpit has a lump and it looks like a white head spot ? my breast also feels like there could be fluid on the outer side ? 

I've never contributed on a forum before so this is all new for me. I live on my own so I'm trying to reach out to others that are going/gone through a similar experience(s)

Many thanks 

x

• Hi,

This forum is a great place for support and advice. I went with a lump in my right breast and they found a bonus find in my left breast! I had a radical mastectomy and full lymph node removal on the right and a lumpectomy on the left for pre cancerous cells at the end of January. If the surgeon hadn't check my other breast, I would have needed more extensive treatment further down the line. I am having my second EC chemo tomorrow then a third on the 12th April before changing to another chemo type on 3rd May and then it will be weekly for 9 weeks. A short break then 15 sessions of radiotherapy.  The hospital is definitely being thorough. 

Good luck in the coming weeks and I hope you are feeling well after your surgery x

• Hi Modette . Welcome . I’m so glad your surgeon was thorough and they found your Bc .

mine was incidental too . I went with what turned out to be a lipoma, had a mammogram ( it was 2 years since my last routine one) and a skilled radiologist found a small 15mm ILC on ultrasound . 

I had my MRI on Monday , nothing else showing up and I’m having a lumpectomy tomorrow .

i hope someone can answer your post op question but can you contact your breast cancer nurse ?

• Hi, good to hear of the thorough consultant that made sure you were treated.  On your question of the lump near the incision and the fluid. Personally I’d suggest you get your BCN to check this out.  I had a few lumps post surgery. One was scar tissue but one was a seroma (fluid build up) and whilst mine went away on its own, sometimes they need a bit of attention.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge