Radiotherapy - length of treatment.

• 12 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Hi everyone. I am almost halfway through paclitaxel chemo and I'm starting to think about upcoming radiotherapy. Does anyone know how the number of treatments are decided? I know that some have 5 sessions and others 10 -15 sessions and to be honest, 5 sounds a lot more doable! Thanks in advance.

• I think 5 is the normal now in the UK for early stage breast cancer. The daily doses are higher but overall dose is a bit lower than the 15 days. I’m not sure what the definition of ‘early stage’ is though. I had high grade DCIS (7.5 cms) with some micro invasion ( largest being 3.5 m). I had the 5 day course. 
    I hope it goes well for you. Xx

• Should have read ‘largest being 3.5mm’!

xx

• Hello, I am not sure how it is decided but I can share my experience. I will be having 15 sessions of radiotherapy in March. The consultant explained to me that they would be treating the whole breast and also giving additional treatment to the tumour bed to reduce risk of recurrence even further. He explained to me that the doses will be given at the same time and in smaller doses over 15 days. He said smaller doses would reduce risk of severe side effects on my skin and overall aesthetic would be better when compared to larger doses over a short period of time. Hope this helps.

• Hi,

I had the 5 days radiotherapy as well, WLE 18mm tumour.

The report says on each session I received 520 cGy in hte breast and 580 cGy in tumour bed.

Total dosis of 26 Gy breast and 29 Gy on tumour bed.

They recommended me to start moisturising the area 10 days before starting treatment.

Wishing you the best in your actual treatment and radiotherapy.

xx

• i had 15 sessions grade 2a, 32mm

• Reading these responses has made me feel a bit better as I was expecting 5 but have now been told 10 as I need a boost to the tumour bed due to location. I also thought 5 sounded a lot more doable :)

• "Must do, is a good master" as the saying goes, so if I need 15 I'll suck it up but with a bad graceSmile

• Thank you Mlen. I hope you're well on the road to recovery x

• It helps hearing how other people are getting on. We seem to focus on what need to be done at the time while mentally preparing for the next hurdle... and there always seems to be one! I'm trying to be positive, ( I'm beginning to loathe that word) if only because being negative is exhausting too. This forum has really helped me deal with the panicky thoughts we're all prone to. God bless all of you.