Going abroad when on abemaciclib

• 21 replies
  • 269 subscribers

I had bilateral breast cancer, have been through 6 rounds of Chemo and double mastectomy and lymph nodes clearance with reconstruction (implants) followed by further surgery to remove my nipples.  I'll start Radiotherapy soon, and my understanding was that would mark the end of treatment, other than tamoxifen for 10yrs.  But yesterday my oncologist mentioned Abemaciclib (it's not been mentioned before by any of the team).  I'm waiting for blood test results before he puts me onto any drugs, but in the meantime have been reading/researching online.  And now I'm worried about the impact of the side effects, the impact on everyday life but also the impact on those special moments in life.  For example holidays.  So my question is, when you're on Abemaciclib, can you go abroad?  I'd promised the kids a holiday this year (we haven't been away for 4 years, they've been through a lot, they deserve some fun and a break and change of scenery).  Has anyone who is on it been away, and did it go OK?  I'm mostly worried due to the need for regular blood tests, side effects that might affect my travelling, and ability to take the drugs through customs.  Here's hoping I'm over worried / over thinking. Would very much appreciate any comments/experiences.

•  Hi keepongoing,

I’m also interested in this topic and holiday insurance if anyone has any information.We have booked a holiday in Northern Ireland this year because of concerns about insurance, getting medication through customs.  I’m on cycle 4 and managing side effects ok so that wouldn’t stop me although I think airplane might be a infection risk. I’m hoping you receive some feedback.

• Hi, whilst I don't know about that specific drug, you could check out the travel insurance forum (here’s the Link to travel insurance) as there will be some useful recommendations there for insurance companies who will cover cancer patients.

As for taking drugs through customs, I travel frequently and I have never had a problem, even taking a lot of meds for 3-4 weeks.  Keep them in the original boxes with your name on and if you are still concerned, you could ask your GP for a letter or a copy of your prescription (also you can find your prescription on the NHS app these days).

I hope someone who is on abemaciclib will be along soon to comment.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• I am just about to start cycle 6 and side effects are manageable. I have had a dose reduction to 100mg which has helped a lot.

When I mentioned holidays to my oncologist he said he would be happy for me to have a treatment break so I can enjoy my holiday without worrying about side effects. I did try this for a mid week break in November and it did help. Although I should have stopped my tablets earlier than I did to really avoid the side effects as I still had a few. The impression I was given was that if you stop the tablets your immune system does bounce back quite quickly. A flight not be as risky as you might think if you stop your tablets early enough. Plus you could always consider wearing a mask if you wanted. People these days don't see masks as that unusual post covid.

I am now on 3 monthly bloods so easier to work life around them. My team have been great at being flexible. They do emphasise that I should still be able to get on with life and abemaciclib, the side effects and blood tests etc shouldn't impact on my quality of life,

I have taken the approach that I can't lock myself away to avoid getting an infection for 2 years as I have to get on with life. We just try and be a bit sensible.

• Thank you so much, that gives me hope that I could potentially have a treatment break for holiday.  I agree, 2 further years of life on hold just seems too much, especially when the children are young and I want to experience things with them.

• Hi, I'm on cycle 18 of Abemaciclib, it was suggested out of the blue & was a shock, so I know how you are feeling.

I had first holiday last year & was fine, no fly cruise. I'm away again in 4 weeks, flying this time, so got some proper filter masks to wear on flight.

I have bloods every 28 days & then if all OK, prescribed a cycle of tablets. My neutrophils is 1.4 at the moment so low but above 1 so continue with treatments.

It's such a worry & I will be glad when finished. I suffer mainly from fatigue & diarrhoea which isn't pleasant. Just hope it does the trick and stop a recurrance

Best wishes x 

• Thanks kitty1, I'm sorry to hear it came out of the blue for you as well, but thank you for responding, it's so reassuring to hear that holidays are still possible, if not as simple as perhaps in the past. I found it stressful with chemo being postponed when my levels fell, I think I'll fine it even more so if my whole holiday with the kids is dependent on them.  Fingers crossed!

• I’ve just finished my 2 years on Abemaciclib and in that time have been abroad (Europe only) for 4 holidays, 2 for two weeks, 1 for 10 days and 1 for 7 days. First holiday was six months after I’d starting taking it.

I had blood tests every four weeks and managed to fit them in around those. Personally I found that managing the side effects wasn’t much different to being at home - I made sure I always had Loperimide (Imodium) with me everywhere I went and was cautious about infection - mask on the plane, handwashing and sanitising. 

I probably felt fatigued but with sun and time to relax, I wasn’t an issue!

No issues at all taking tablets through customs, think it’s recommended that you keep them in original packaging - which I did and put them in a clear plastic bag so they were easily visible. 

I don’t think I’d have been up for long haul travel and staying in Europe meant I didn’t have to think about adjusting doses for time zones.

I had existing travel insurance and just completed the company’s health update form - had to do that anyway because of cancer, so just added every treatment I’d had in 2021 plus the list of new medication - and got their standard letter back saying changes in health had been noted. 

Hope you manage to get some time away and wishing to all the best with the rest of your treatment x

• Agree with everything you have said, I couldn't face long haul atm. 

Glad you have finished your treatment now x

• Thanks Kitty1. Not too much longer for you now, hang in there x

• Thank you so much NBI it's so good to hear you've managed so many trips, really gives me hope, thank you.  And good tips re sanitiser and masks thanks.