Need to make a decision

• 3 replies
  • 268 subscribers

I had a lumpectomy and node clearance on the 29th Dec for a stage 3 grade 2 invasive lobular carcinoma. After surgery I was informed that it was 8cm in size and multifocal. I had a meeting with my Consultant today and she has informed me that during the MDT meeting concerns have bn raised that margins were not good enough as they believe I am at risk of further areas of cancer. I have bn given the choice between another lumpectomy type surgery to remove all the tissue from the area of most concern OR a mastectomy. She advised that she has sought opinions from other consultants and opinions are very much divided on which surgery would be best. She did say that due to other medical issues I would not be able to have reconstructive surgery if I had a mastectomy. I will need chemo and radiotherapy regardless of which surgery I opt for. I have no idea which is the best option. I've given the go ahead for the lumpectomy type surgery with the knowledge that if further cancer found I will have to have a mastectomy but I'm terrified I've made the wrong decision.

• Hello, sorry you find yourself here, the place none of us wanted to come.

This is so hard as they have given the choice to you.... I think you are dammed if you go one way and dammed if you go the other way so to say.  They originally chose the option of 'lumpectomy' and it sounds like 'if' margins where acceptable then this would of been it you would be moving on to the next part of treatment.

It seems the 'margins' are what are in question - therefore a further lumpectomy will be taking more of the margins with the intention of taking what is needed - plus you have been told that if further 'c' is found then they will carry on and do the mastectomy.  This seems to be coving all options.

I was told the operation takes place with the surgeon only allowed to take 'the minimal amount of tissue in hope to get clear margins' - the reason for this is 'afterwards' - if they had taken 'more than needed' there is a fear that patents would 'sue' for taking more than required.  (I said I am more than willing to sign a disclaimer saying that I would not do this - just take as much as is needed and extra to get the clear margin).

I don't think your surgeon would allow you to choose lumpectomy 'if' it was going to leave you at risk.... plus they have said 'if' they find more they will do a mastectomy. 

It is such a terrifying time for you, I am sure you will question every decision you make - its all part of the rollercoaster ride you have stepped onto.  

I feel with time your mind will ease - especially if you keep in mind that 'if' more was found then they will take appropriate action.

Please try and easy your anxiety about saying you are terrified that 'you have made the wrong decision' ......
    I really don't think they would let 'you choose a lumpectomy' if it was not a suitable option.

I hope this helps a little - and sorry I have to say the same 'at the end of the day the choice is yours'

Sending love and strength xx

I'm hoping this makes sense - only my mind says one thing and my fingers type whatever they like x
  • Hello, I was in a similar situation not long ago. My first surgery was in November and clear margins were not achieved. I then agreed to a re excision in December and this time clear margins were achieved. Like you I was very much aware that if they didn’t get it all I would be back in again a third time! Thankfully they got good margins, so although I was terrified that I’d made the wrong decision, it worked out ok in the end. Best wishes.

• Hi,I think it can be  really tough when we as patients are left to make decisions, but I also know some people do value having that choice. If it helps, you could always give the lovely folks here at Macmillan a call and chat through the options with them. The number is 0800 808 0000. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge