Mum newly diagnosed

• 5 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hi everyone. 

My mum was yesterday diagnosed with breast cancer. We are waiting lumpectomy to establish the stage. 

I am absolutely terrified and feel so overwhelmed with it all. I just can’t seem to get my head around it and not sure how I will cope mentally going forwards but I know I have to and I have to be strong for my mum to help her try and get through this. 

is anyone else going through a similar thing in that they’re not actually the patient but someone close to them is? 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your mum. There’s a group here on the site for Family and Carers which would be worth joining as well as here. There have definitely been posts in this group though from folk like you who are supporting someone with cancer. Well done to you for reaching out, it’s a horrible time for you and it’s good to get support. Hopefully one of them will see your post and respond, as it can also feel very lonely when a loved one is going through cancer diagnosis and treatment, but you don’t know anyone else in your particular situation. If it’s any consolation or reassurance, many of us here have said that the waiting is the worst point of this rollercoaster experience. Certainly in my case, getting the results of the lumpectomy and having a definite treatment plan made me feel more able to cope. Keep posting and ask any questions, and do have a look for that Family and Carers (or Friends) group, I’m not sure of the exact name but would be useful I think. The other place that I’ve found very helpful is Future Dreams in Kings Cross. If you’re anywhere near London they have in person sessions (I’ve been to a couple) but they also do online stuff too. It’s for anyone affected by breast cancer and includes family and friends. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Here’s the link (I hope) for the Family and Friends group xxx

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../family-and-friends-forum

HappyFeet1 xx
  • And for Future Dreams xxx

futuredreams.org.uk/.../

HappyFeet1 xx
  • Thank you so much for your reply. And thank you for the links to get support. It’s really appreciated. I’m not even sure what the point of my original post was. I just found myself lay awake last night with my mind in overdrive and felt like I needed to reach out to others in a similar position. I will have a look at these other links. Thank you again.

• Sometimes it’s helpful just to say it somewhere, especially when thoughts are racing around in your head. This is a safe place for expressing stuff without worrying about ‘being strong’ for others. Xxx

HappyFeet1 xx