Chemo and having a few wines

• 12 replies
  • 270 subscribers

Hi everyone hope your all doing well 

My question feels abit wrong but really need the feel to ask 

Has anyone on here drank wine or that why having paclitaxel chemotherapy??

I just sometimes feel like a. Bottle. Of wine and wondered if anyone else actually had and was they OK?

Thankyou sorry if I offend anyone it's not my intention xx

• Yes. I like a glass of wine with a meal. I must say most things did not taste nice but I generally managed an evening meal and

• Sorry Aea didn't mean to send

and a glass of wine. Much reduced from my usual 2 glasses but because I was buying less I went for quality. I bought organic red wine with as few of additives as possible. Not wise to over do it but a small glass maybe 4 times a week did me no obvious harm xxx

• had some wine was ok, would say its fine, don’t stress about that, on red stuff no interest in wine or anything, on taxol my tastebuds were ok and one day i wanted red wine so had a couple of glasses, it was nice, then didn't fancy it again. 

as people say dont over do it,the last thing you want to do is ruin it if you feel nauseated by it.

• That's great news it just says everywhere not to but I suppose they say that about everything really just abit nervous about having a drink but fancy one so I will give it a go haha this thing can't take all my luxarys especially my wine hehe hope you are ok all of you sending love 

• only thing i heard to avoid was medical levels of vitamin c and grapefruit juice. 

• My oncologist says to eat & drink whatever you fancy, he’s fab Blush

• Yes. I’m happily drinking wine daily whilst on paclitaxol. But my GP says it’s not good for one’s underlying general  health and she says not to exceed the nhs guidelines. Basically we shouldn’t drink except for the occasional celebration. I’m trying but I’m weak. I keep telling myself I must try harder to stop drinking. 

• I used to enjoy a small glass of red wine with my dinner after retiring but at my first visit with surgeon for BC he told me to quit my drinking and that I could have an occasional alcoholic drink.  I stopped right then as I was drinking it as I had read that red wine was good for my heart health. I understand that you enjoy it but think of your overall health.  Here is an article and read it if you feel like it 

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2023/cancer-alcohol-link-public-awareness&sa=U&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwj0h8jAmIGEAxV_QzABHSxMDokQFnoECDAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2EkvN9P70jDuB6HE3h6A0L

I wish you the very best outcome and take care.  I have tried nonalcoholic sparkling wine at Christmas and it was delicious.  Just an option 

Barbara 

• Hi, like yourself Hopeful Barb I stopped drinking as soon as I was diagnosed. I wasn’t a heavy drinker but I had a high grade cancer and as part of my treatment I had chemo and I’m now on a 2 year course of Abemaciclib. Both sets of drugs increase your livers work load and as alcohol is metabolised by the liver I decided to stop the alcohol. I have now been alcohol free for just over a year, it will be October 2025 that I finish Abemaciclib and to be honest I’m unsure if I’ll drink again. It’s a personal choice, we all take risks in life and alcohol effects us all differently. I’ve decided to be alcohol free until my treatment is finished, it’s not been difficult. 

• I didn't drink through my chemo,  the nurses advised me that my kidneys had enough to cope with already so I just left it.