Advice and experience of treatment options

• 25 replies
  • 253 subscribers

The quality of life is my priority.
I’m 75, very active and I would say healthy except for diagnosis of Breast and underarm lymph tumors in left side early December 23. Taking letrozole 52 days so far , no issues apart from night sweats. I

I have been offered left lumpectomy, axillary excision of ALL lymph nodes and radio therapy. I’m minded to refuse, particularly as I’m left handed and surgery would limit my ability to enjoy doing the things I love: cooking, a lot of gardening and keeping fit by walking hills and woods etc.

Surgeon has agreed to a review and scan of affected area after 3months and to review my options. I’m wondering whether to ask if instead I could have chemo.

I’ve talked to a number of people who have had the surgery and radiotherapy and all express pain and discomfort continuing for years after plus some had and have lymphoedema. An acquaintance also left hand had similar surgery 10 years ago and STILL has restricted use of the arm and shoulder and occasional swelling of arm and hand.

My question is what experience have others had of just having chemotherapy and using letrozole or similar? My dear friend now 85 had lymphoma of the next 3 years ago and had chemotherapy and after being weak for just under a year is back shifting piles of earth, carrying bug  garden  pots etc and has just bought a new house and is moving!

I have systematically reviewed the research and outcomes and there seems little difference in length of life expections if I did nothing and just look Letrozole. I reiterated its quality and freedom I want not longevity. 

• Hi  

I had a lumpectomy nearly 2 years ago along with the removal of 2 sentinel lymph nodes. This was then followed up with chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I haven't suffered with any problems from this and still do all the things, ie walking, gardening, laptop based hobbies, that I did before treatment.

Wishing you all the best with whatever you decide to do.

Anne 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Surgery was fine for me. I was out walking a couple of days after surgery and just had to do arm exercises to maintain mobility. After radio, I carried on exercises for months as wanted to maintain movement. It’s a tricky decision and you are right to consider what is best for you 

• I had mastectomy and all lymph nodes removed March 2023 , been through chemotherapy, radiotherapy now on letrozole and Abemiciclib it was painful after the operation but  I did exactly what l was told all the arm excerises and have had no problem at all. I have had chemotherapy and radiotherapy I carried on walking throughout treatment at least 4 miles aday some days while having chemotherapy I failed but I always took short walks. Finished treatment December 2023 I have got some fatigue from the medication but to be honest not stopping me going walking or doing Pilates, l am carrying on as before. I do look after my arm wear long sleeves in the summer and use insect repellent and always wear gloves in the garden ,but I have no issues with gardening, cleaning back to normal just a numb feeling inside of my arm and armpit. Hope this helps 

• Hi, I'm right handed and had a lumpectomy on my right side and 1 lymph node removed.  I have some breast lymphoedema now but I have no issues in living a completely regular life and I exercise, work full time, cook, garden etc etc.  best wishes with whatever you decide 

Community Champion badge

• I think that it would depend on your tumour size,  grade and type as well as the number of nodes affected. If you are otherwise healthy then leaving the nodes will cause spread, and stage 4 cancer is treatable but not curable.  Often scans miss cancer in the nodes as well - 20% of 'clear' sentinel nodes are not clear. 

It's your choice,  and your body, and for about 2/3 people letrozole works well,  but that's a risk. Could you get a second opinion based on the full information?

As a general,  slightly out of date (though updated constantly as data is processed) guide the NHS use this https://breast.predict.nhs.uk/

as a starting point for treatment.  It only shows survival rates at 5, 10 and 15 years,  and presumed either a mastectomy or radiation with lumpectomy.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
  • Minor correction to say 20% of people with apparently clear nodes aurally have something in at least one. 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
  • Thank you. They want to axilliary excise all lymph nodes and do a lumpectomy. I think there is a risk whatever I do but as I’m 75 and have had a brilliant life , I’m thinking five years is about all I want .  The thought of limiting my life now and my lovely partner being my “carer” or “enabler” is my issue. My daughters one of whom is a doctor both think that I will find limitation that the surgeon warned me about  hugely challenging. It’s a tough one and I really appreciate all the responses.  

• Hello Londonmumof2,  I can understand your dilemma as I am 75 too.  I had DCIS in right breast and Stage 1 in left breast diagnosed at same time.  I was 71 almost 72 when diagnosed.  I am active too and was worried but my surgeon was wonderful.  My stage 1 cancer was small only 3mm and he did not do a SLNB either as I was over 70 and tumor small so was so glad.  Did have bilateral lumpectomies and whole breast radiation and now on anastrazole.  
    I know you mentioned you had nodes affected too.  Just one question can they do lumpectomy and keep you on letrozole?  Did they say your tumor was slow growing?  Most of us elderly ladies with ER positive tumors have slow growing tumors.  
    Here is a link to a good article:  https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/oncology/articles/10.3389/fonc.2023.1126104&sa=U&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwiDouq3lYGEAxVBRTABHV18AY0QFnoECDAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2ZUcPZkt3jOg-Y7l4VjTUn

It is nice your daughter is a physician so she can help you so much.  Wishing you the best.  
    Stay strong.

Barbara 

• Thankyou. Seen two Consultants and both recommended axillary excision of all lymph nodes and lumpectomy. Tumours in lymph nodes aggressive  but strong oestrogen receptors. Letrozole is shrinking them it’s been agreed to review and rescan at three months so about three weeks away. I’ll read the article. Take care

• I have downloaded and read the research paper. Very useful indeed. With thanks