No Chemo necessary!

• 12 replies
  • 272 subscribers

Hi all

I saw my oncologist the other day and my oncotype results were 17/100 so they're not recommending chemo or radiotherapy as it would have very little impact on prevention.  I'm going to take a daily dose of Tamoxifen for up to 10 years (as I'm not quite peri Menopausal and my cancer was oestrogen positive receptive ? - the terminology is still a bit alien to me even now).  Other than my final reconstruction operation and yearly mammograms for 5 years, then every 3 years FOR LIFE, I'm I'm finished with my treatment.  It still hasn't quite sunk in yet but I will be sure to scrutinise the copy letter to my GP in case I have remembered something wrongly or need something clarified in my mind.

I hope everyone else gets good news soon.  Thank you so much for the great support and advice on here.

• Great news!   What a relief for you x

• Hi OnlineSally

I'm delighted to hear your news.

Best of luck with everything.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• That's a great outcome, hopefully your reconstruction will be soon & you can start to move forward x

• That’s wonderful news! Can I ask how you got the oncotype test done! My oncologist is saying they can’t do them anymore. I have er/pr positive but her2 negative cancer. Mastectomy 2 weeks ago. Cancer in 2 lymph nodes which were removed but no spread seem beyond them. I have been recommend chemo and radio which I will of course do if that’s what they are recommending but I would desperately like the oncotype test to see if chemo would actually benefit me.

• Did they say why they can’t do them anymore?  I assume you are with NHS.  Is it about money I wonder.  When I had mine 18 months ago I was told the cost of the test outweighed the cost of giving chemo unnecessarily.  I think the cost to NHS is £3,000.  

• Wonderful news, Niw you can get of with your life. Congratulations. Xx

• My oncologist said I would have had chemo were she not able to do Oncotype, mine came back as 9 so not needed. I’m in Bedfordshire 

• A case in point.  It saves having to go through chemo with likely little effect.  It’s a false economy not to offer it in my opinion.  I'm pleased for you that you didn’t need chemo x

• Have you considered pushing for an oncotype test? Robbanns post is a great example. X

• It must be financial as my team told me it was £3k to do a test and  had to promise I would have chemo if the test came back 26 and above, mine was 21 so no chemo.  If test recommends that you do have the chemo, and you don't, that is £3k wasted but do feel that you should still be offered so you can make an informed choice.  It is a postcode lottery.