Change of treatment plan

• 2 replies
  • 265 subscribers

Back in August I was diagnosed with lobular er+ pr+ her-  2 areas of concern. I was put straight on tamoxifen and had a lumpectomy in October.  November told that they removed the areas one was the lobular cancer and the other was dcis but they had found a completely unrelated tumour in my lymph node (her+) Was told the plan would stay as they thought and would be radiotherapy only, no chemotherapy. Fast forward to last week and my oncology appointment, totally shocked to be told that I would in fact need 12 weekly infusions of paclitaxel with 3 weekly injections of phesgo for a year followed by 15 sessions of radiotherapy and tamoxifen for 5 years!  Today my oncology consultant called me to say that that has also changed now so I now have 3 cycles (3 weekly) of another chemotherapy drug before I start on the 12 weekly regime therefore adding 9 weeks to my treatment plan. She explained that in order to get funding for the phesgo it has to be done in conjunction with this other additional chemotherapy drug, which I didnt get the name of as I was again a bit shell shocked, I think she said it was stronger than what they were initially going to give me. Had heart scan today, loads of blood tests etc, having picc line fitted tomorrow, abdominal and thorax scan plus more blood tests on Saturday so this week has been very full on! Start chemo on Monday. Has anyone else experienced a complete turnaround of their treatment plan like this, I now I'm probably wrong but I feel like I'm missing something that they haven't told me yet?

• Hi MrsPap, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Yes sometimes after surgery plans change as they then have more detailed results.  When I was first told I had cancer I was told surgery, radiotherapy and maybe hormone tablets. Once I had my surgery that plan changed and chemo and targeted treatment (Phesgo) were added. I was triple positive and my chemo was EC x4 cycles and Docetaxel x4 cycles, 

Wishing you all the best.

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Thanks for your reply, it's really reassuring to know that I'm not the only one this has happened to, I think because i was initially told in my appointment after surgery that it would be radiotherapy I was so shocked by the oncologist saying it was chemotherapy that my mind was going haywire, especially when more was added . Hugs to you too xxx