Exemestane

• 4 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hi there,

I just wondered if anyone is on exemestane and what their experiences of it are.

My concern is the reduction of white bloods cells and the risk of infection which I had thought I had put behind me following completion of herceptin , chemo and radiotherapy. ( I was on anastrazole which I tolerated well ,but this was changed following mastectomy for local recurrence)

I'm not sure what precautions I should be taking and as I work in the community, schools and nurseries would like more information.

I did contact my breast care nurse but she didn't know that 1 in 10 people did have this problem!!!

Thank you

• Hi WMK i have just started this treatment a few weeks ago. I was told in general really to keep myself away from people who may have a cold ect and just to be more aware. I think i would ask your oncologist if you are concerned. I must admit you do work in an enviroment that might be a problem if what you have heard is true 

• Hi Wino,

Thank you for your reply. I will talk to my oncologist on my next appointment and ask her if I need to take extra precautions.

It 's so difficult trying to carry on as normally as possible but I shall persevere!! Slight smile

I hope all your treatment goes well for you

Love and hugs

• Hi WMK. 

I am on exemestane and have been since summer 2021, following 6 months on Letrozole. I was changed because I wasn't getting on with letrozole. I am different from you in that I am in my 70s  but I am an ex-teacher. I retired in 2021 as the Occupational medical officer did not want me to return because of the danger from covid in classrooms. It didn't matter much as I had been planning to go and was past retirement age. But I know where you are coming from. To be honest, I haven't caught any more bugs/virus than anyone else, less than many people. I have had covid once and not badly. I was in the at-risk group during covid ie don't go out etc and although not in the first group to get the covid vaccine I did have it fairly early on because of the cancer/exemestane. I think I may be out of the group now but it matters not as being over 70 I get it anyway. I also have had flu, pneumonia and shingles jabs. I didn't use to bother getting vaccinations but am more careful now.  Talk to your GP about vaccination, you might need to supply information from a knowledgeable pharmacist or maybe Macmillan could advise.  If you are classroom-based based you could ask for a HEBA air filter.  I have my own  Vax AP01 Air Purifier which I set up in my living room whenever a family member has covid (who can properly stay in a room???) none of us ever caught covid from one another. 

The worst things for me relate to the decrease in oestrogen. I have put on weight, my osteoarthritis is far, far worse - I can hardly walk, I have some bladder problems and my eyes are worse. When I went through my actual menopause in my 50s I had a pretty easy time. This oestrogen depletion has had far worse effects, I even get hot flushes, not sufficiently strong that I sweat but I do take jumpers etc off even in this weather!  But lots of people don't get these things and hopefully, you will be in that category. I believe exemestane is  less harmful on bones than the other aromatase inhibitors. I by the way had chemo, Herceptin, and a double mastectomy but no radiotherapy. You can see my profile if you wish. 

A long ramble but I hope it helps. 

Very best of luck x

• Hi Rozalia,

Thank you very much for your reply. It has been very informative and I will discuss air filters with my manager who is incredibly supportive. I do go into classrooms but can give myself space from the children as I just go in to give dental health talks.

Like you I have all the vaccinations offered in the hope to keep myself as safe as possible. I had the shingles vaccination yesterday and it's the only one that has caused me any side effects but those were very much better than having actual shingles.

To date I have been very lucky with the AI drugs with just  stiffness and hair thinning and with luck that will continue, but hopefully the exemestane will work more effectively against my cancer type .

I'm sorry you're having some unpleasant side effects , as if it isn't bad enough having to go through chemo , herceptin and surgery.!!!! I hope they may subside for you.

Thank you again for your very helpful reply.