Icing hands/feet to prevent neuropathy?

• 17 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hi everyone

I started chemo last week (Paclitaxel) and on another forum mostly of people in the US they talk a lot about icing hands and feet to prevent neuropathy.

It doesn’t seem to be common here - none of my reputable UK information sources mention it, and my oncologist didn’t mention it even though she talked about neuropathy as a side effect. When looking around online I see products advertised by Amazon UK and other cheap tat websites but I don’t want to just buy stuff without knowing more.

I’ve read a few studies that are encouraging but they are all US based so I’m looking for practical info about how to actually do it given that chemo units are probably set up differently here. 

Has anyone here done this? Has it helped? Did you use special socks/gloves or just ice packs? How did you keep them cold enough between home and hospital? How long did you ice for during sessions?

thanks so much

• Hello,  yes live here in US and have read articles about it and I think some oncologists are doing it.  I don’t know anyone personally but it is a good idea.  
    Probably could keep ice packs in a cooler.

Barbara

Barbara 

• I'd heard about it, but it was never suggested. Some articles I read suggested it needed to be supplied constant, like the cold cap. I have it in my feet and it's  quite awful. My finger tips are not so bad. My gut is affected. Tight pain like a girdle. I didn't think it woukd be this bad, I'm hoping it improves. It has been 8 weeks and no change. I wish I'd been made more aware. It affects the muscle in my legs too. I'm quite depressed about it. 

• Hi, I’ve also read about cold hand/feet therapy and it appears to reduce incidence of neuropathy. I’ve also read if you have good levels of vitamin D it also reduces incidence of neuropathy. My vit D was 74 before treatment, 48 a month ago post chemotherapy and one dose iv zometa. I had been careful over the summer avoiding getting burnt whilst on chemotherapy. Maybe I overdid the factor 50 I was lucky and didn’t develop neuropathy.

• Hi AnkuSnoo welcome to the forum. As you are saying there is little by way of information re this in the UK, I wonder if this is something that may be best answered by the Nurses at Macmillan who may have more experience and/or knowledge of this.

I have included the link below and you need only click on this and repost in that thread and they will get back to you.

Ask a Nurse

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Ankusnoo

I did nothing and am paying the ongoing price as I have some ongoing neuropathy in my feet 2 years plus on.  If you get any foot/toe pain or tingling let your chemo nurses know. They take it seriously and mine warned me that I need to let them know as it can in very bad situations end up being unable to walk. Having said that don't over worry just don't ignore. The other thing is has anyone told you to wear dark/black nail varnish? I just thought it was people being fashionable - learnt later it helps protect against nail fungus infections which I got and which dogged me afterwards with thick  & ingrowing nails.

Chemo though is quite doable. I seem to remember feeling a bit of a hypochondriac BUT now realise I wasn't it. I was lucky with my GP and general support. My advice is to go with the flow, allow yourself to feel poorly ie stay in bed if you want to and ask for what you need. Eg I was unable to sleep, I told my GP who gave me some tablets (can't recall the name). I didn't take them every night but about every 3 nights of little sleep, I treated myself to a good night. If you have a temperature make sure you report it. We used to be told to go to A&E, but might have changed now.  Good luck x

• Sorry to hear you’re having these side effects. For the leg muscle pain are you moving around, staying hydrated, wearing compression socks? I know DVT is a risk so that’s something I am very wary of, but not sure if muscle pain is a sign of that. Ask your doctor if it’s safe to use something like tiger balm or deep heat?  

• I haven't been out much, the weather is awful. I've some socks on order. My muscles feel weak in my legs. Thanks 

• Yes I’ve been told to keep an eye on my temp and go to A&E if I feel at all unwell. I’ve texted my Macmillan nurse asking about neuropathy given I often get cold/painful feet especially. 

First chemo session was very tolerable, and haven’t had any issues in the days since. Hoping it stays that way for as long as possible! 

I feel very supported by my doctors, nurses and Macmillan care team. Plus my mum is wonderful (I’ve moved back home and she is an angel taking care of me, which is hard to say no to but also hard as a 37 year old grown ass woman to not feel bad about!) 

• Maybe look up some exercises you can inside, just stretching/extending/rotating your feet and ankles is often good enough. I do it on long haul flights and you can even do them sitting down.

Weather has definitely been awful indeed! Here in Herts it’s at least been dry for the last few days, although still grey. I love going for walks when it’s very cold but sunny. Just a slow walk around the block would be lovely one of these days if the sun comes out…

• Thank you. I’ve messaged my Macmillan nurse about it but also wanted to hear if any folks have gone through it themselves too. Hoping the Macmillan nurses will have some info and tips, they are really wonderful.