Chemotherapy as a prevention

• 10 replies
  • 271 subscribers

My breast cancer has been removed on 7th December and there was no spread to lymph nodes. However, the tumour was grade 3 so the oncologist has offered chemo therapy followed by radiotherapy and hormone treatment, as giving me the best possible chance of preventing cancer returning anywhere in my body. Anyone else had a similar situation and if so, what were your experiences? Thank you. Jayne 

• This is absolutely quite normal and many of us, myself included have gone down this path.

The chemotherapy helps to kill any stray cells which may have got in to your blood,  and radiotherapy stops anything growing around the tumour site.

My experience of chemo wasn't as bad as I expected, and I finished radiotherapy nearly 2 weeks ago.  

• I have had exactly the same outcome as yourself, also with a grade 3 tumor. I have also been offered the same treatments as you. my lumpectomy was on the 3rd of November & have a pre treatment assessment appointment this Thursday. Feeling very anxious, but see it as getting closer to the finish line. Pray

I wish you good  luck with your treatment. Sparkling heart

• This happened to me too. Margins and lymph nodes were clear after my lumpectomy in November. I was told chemo and radiation were necessary as I was grade 3 HER2 positive. I’ve now had 3 out of 12 weeks Taxol by IV plus one injection of Herceptin which will be repeated every 3 weeks for one year. I’ll have 5 sessions of radiation in March when I finish with Taxol. So far I’ve had minimal side effects, just a little diarrhoea. All this has been very reassuring that everything is being done to prevent recurrence. Hang on in there! It’ll be worth it.

• Very similar experience.  All cancer removed at operation but because grade 3 and  Prosignia test was 58/100 it was recommended that I have preventative chemo.  Big shock at the time as I was told just 5 days radiotherapy .  It was still my choice but I felt it was a no brainer. Have to throw everything at it.  So having 6 cycles of EC in 3 week cycles.  Had 2nd one on 4/1.  Hair is falling out despite cold cap but I genuinely feel quite well.  Radiotherapy for 3 weeks at the end and drugs for 10 years.  

Good luck with your decision - it will be the right one for you. X

• Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have decided to have the chemo - as has been said- we need to throw everything at it.  I’m very anxious about the side effects and how long my body will take to recover. My daughter gets married at the end of this year and I am determined to be fit and healthy and looking reasonably human for her big day Pray

• Hi, I had 6 rounds of chemo starting in July 2022, lumpectomy and axillary clearance 16 December and 5 rounds of radiotherapy starting February 2023. I had a grade 3 IDC and was triple positive.  Was told margins were clear however they removed  13mm residue of cancer cells so was offered 14 cycles of Kadcyla.  Finally finished on 1 December 2023.  The latest chemo was a walk in the park compared to the initial 6 months, hardly any side effects and I was able to carry on as normal.  I am on anastrazol for 10 years and will have 6monthly infusions of zoledronic acid.  I believe and hope these treatments will give me the best chance of preventing the cancer returning.  I am trying to stay positive anyway.  Will be having my first mammogram in the next 2 weeks so fingers crossed.  Good luck to all on this journey. Xx

• I’m in the same boat with grade 2 her2 and lumpectomy on the 13th December. Find out on Friday what the treatment plan will be. It’s ok, we got this Thumbsup tone1

• I had a surgery December’23  and the biopsy showed clear margins but one  of the sentinel nodes was  with 2mm of the tumor.As my cancer is oestrogen positive only i have to choose to have chemotherapy or to continue with radiotherapy and letrozole.I have decided to go with the chemotherapy  just in case but still i am not sure if this os the right thing to do?

• Hi Marina66, I had a lumpectomy and 2 sentinel nodes were taken too. One showed cancer in and so I was told that an axillary clearance was next as sentinel node positive and to make sure it hadn’t spread.I had the clearance done and more positive nodes were found. I then had chemo, targeted treatment, radiotherapy and am now on tamoxifen. I’m triple positive.

Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Hi Marina66. There are so many doubts in our minds aren’t there? For me it’s the fear of the unknown, but we do have to give ourselves the best chance we can, and I think chemo does that.  Good luck on your journey Pray