Tamoxifen brands -

• 4 replies
  • 261 subscribers

I have been on multiple brands of tamoxifen since March 2017. mainly Wockhardt and Mylan with some others, recently,  Tilomed   

THe brands I could cope best with were Wockhardt and Mylan but Tilomed is a problem for me. so I asked my pharmacist to change brands back to Workhardt or Mylan.

He couldnt get Wockhardtt but could get Mylan from his wholesaler "Alliance"  BUT at a premium of £10 per pack which I must pay despite being my NHS prescription [from my GP].   Althjough I had Mylan in the past I never had to pay  a premium on my NHS prescription.

Has anyone had a similar experience and is this premium charge legal.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Marilena mainly W

• Hi Marilena welcome to the forum. I dont know enough about the charges for prescriptions but I know that they are different in England and Scotland for example. However, I feel sure that someone will be along soon who could maybe let us know if this has happened to them.

I do  think maybe the best thing to do is to give the Macmillan Line a call as they may be able to advise re this. 08088080000.  

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Marilena, I have been on tamoxifen since May 2023 and had Mylan to start with. I found they worked for me too. I have tried another brand too which so far has been ok. I have Tilomed to but haven't started on that pack yet. I have an exemption card so I don't pay for my prescriptions. I applied for it when I started my chemo and so I can any medication free and don't have to pay the £9.95 prescription charge. Do you have an exemption card?  I'm not sure but I don't see how a chemist can charge you a premium for having the Mylan brand. Its something that works for you with little or no side effects so therefore they should provide what works. I would challenge the chemist.Also like Granny59 said, perhaps try and ask the MacMillan Line. Also you could try speaking with your GP too.

Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Hi Marilena. I have been on Tamoxifen for 2 years and Mylan is the best brand for me. Mostly I’ve been able to get it. Until now. Apparently it is too expensive for the pharmacy to purchase. I don’t know if that’s because it’s gone up in price or because the pharmacy chain (whoever took over Lloyds) is trying to cut costs. So maybe that’s why you’re being asked to pay a premium. I’m hoping it’s a temporary thing. I’m about to try a new brand RelonChem - fingers crossed that’s ok. Best of luck, Eliza

• Hi Marilena

I've had a similar experience to others. I've been taking Tamoxifen for 1.5 years, I've found that Mylan, Wockhardt and Relonchem are ok for me but do not get on well with Tillomed (headaches, fatigue) and refuse to have this brand. I've had a lot of problems getting Mylan and the pharmacy did say it was much more expensive although they didn't make me pay the difference, but most of the time it's not even available to order, even when they try.

Best wishes

Fiona