Brain Fog

• 12 replies
  • 251 subscribers

Hi all, I have been taking Tamoxifen for about 4 months now and apart from the hot flushes and occasional leg cramps it's going well. However I am finding I have incredible brain fog. Iam forgetting to do basic house tasks, forget shopping and work is very stressful.  I can only concentrate on one thing at a time where I uses to multi task at work. I am getting upset and frustrated with myself. Has anyone else experienced this and did it improve? Thanks xxx

• Yes I feel that my energy has been depleted and I wake up in the middle of the night. 1 am last night. It's a bitch. I have less hot flushes thanks to acupuncture I think. My brain is foggy but my main complaint is the tiredness. Everything seems harder. I don't work anymore but it still is hard to cope with. I started on Letrozole for 3 mths early Feb then changed to Tamoxifen. 

I carry on doing things that I want to do but it's sometimes like forcing myself. I will dance even if I'm not great at it. I feel determined to make the most of whatever I have. I hope you will too. Lippy on, positive mantras and off we go. You are protected by Disability Laws when you have had cancer I believe. It is useful for work if you have to work less. 

• I forgot about the tiredness. I get 3/4 good days and then all I want to do is sleep. I started on Letrazole but couldn't cope with it. You're right,  mask on, smile and keep going xxx wishing well with your treatment xxx

• Yes it really is about survival at times. I'm not great when the seasons change, might get the light box out. I used to work with someone who used it at work. I am going to start Bisphosphonates to protect the bones soon. It prevents cancer affecting the bones if it spreads it seems. 

Always adapting to something. Dancing inside tomorrow that will be a bit easier. Xxx

• Hi Rowliegirl, I too am on tamoxifen and have found I have brain fog too. I find I forget words or names. I to used to be able to multi task. I find I now start something then move onto something else and then release I haven’t really finished the first thing so have to go back to it. I find sometimes I can have 3 or 4 things on the go and I seem to get distracted and then forget what I was doing for a bit. It’s very frustrating at times. I’m hoping that once I’ve been on the tablets for a while it might settle. I started my in May. I have had a couple of different brands and I don’t think I was quite as bad on the first brand I had. I think I log her try to see if I can get hold of that again.

Wishing you all the best.

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• I know all those feelings. Had a particularly bad day at work today when I kept getting interrupted.  I had to really think about what I was doing in the first place. Felt really stupid. Got angry and upset with myself. I have only ever had one brand, perhaps a different one would mKe a difference?? Good luck with your journey xxxx

• Hi  , agree with comments above, I’m on Anastrozole and have similar issues. Brain fog is horrible, like you’ve said it makes multi tasking impossible and being interrupted a total nightmare as you lose the thread of whatever you were doing. I’ve retired now but was teaching when diagnosed and found going back such a struggle. I used to love the juggling act of managing all the different needs in my classroom but found it totally exhausting. And was forgetting stuff too. 
    The tiredness is another joy! (Not) Like  , I force myself to do my various physical activities because I know I’ll enjoy them and definitely helps with the stiff joints. But I could so easily just stay at home! 
    I don’t know that it’s got any easier in my case, I’m nearly 5 years in. Retiring from work was sad but also the biggest relief. But I know that’s often not an option. One thing that you could ask for is an occupational health assessment to see if your work could be adapted to help with all these recognised side effects of hormone therapies. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • I so wish I could retire but not an option at the moment. I might speak to my HR dept about working from home a few days a week when I have tasks I need to concentrate on.  Had another particularly bad day today and got so frustrated.  It's exhausting Sleepy thanks for the support. Big hugs xxx 

• Do you have a union, if so involve them. You are covered by the Equality Act and should have adaptations made for you. Citizens advice might be able to help (if they are still operating)

Good luck x

• I have brain fog, and someone recommended I take an acetyl carnitine supplement. I had a go and it helped me a lot. also exercise and good diet help too. I hope it settles down. It is hard when oestrogen levels plummet after breast cancer. I takes a while for our bodies to adapt. x

• Hi sorry to respond so late but I came across this feed whilst looking into brain fog amongst tamoxifen users. 

I have really bad brain fog and go through long spells of fatigue or extreme tiredness. I used to be able to multi task as a manager of a nursery but I have had to give up that role. I still work full-time but I do struggle. Holidays are even hard work. I too find life in general so hard but really want to live life to the fullest after what I have been through and fought so hard for. Life is a struggle day to day but I try my best to crack on and not show it or give in