Track-ER trial still recruiting for oestrogen receptive, Her2 negative, and after surgery

• 8 replies
  • 250 subscribers

Hi all, I am just on my way home from the Royal Marsden who are conducting this trial. They are still recruiting to it. If you Google ‘Track-ER’ breast cancer Royal Marsden, you should get all the details re: eligibility etc. It is particularly useful for people who have missed Abemaciclib because they have been taking hormone therapy for more than 12 weeks. I was referred by my oncologist (I asked if I could go be referred) and they faxed over my scans, paths reports etc. Today I signed the consent forms and had the required blood tests. 
I nearly had second thoughts because I had to travel to London from North Yorkshire, and originally I had been told that the follow up appointments (every 3 months) would also be in London. However, the Consultant told me today that they are linking up with some other Cancer centres in the UK (one is the Christie in Manchester)  which means that I could go there instead, if my blood tests are viable for the trial. 
just thought to let everyone know!! Hugs xx

• Hi Cloudier

Thanks for letting us know.

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, do you know why 12 weeks is significant, my oncologist has got this for me to start asking when my radiotherapy finishes in a few weeks time, I have been taking arimedex for 5 months. Thanks 

• Hi @Kitty1, I don’t know why it said 12 weeks when this was first approved on the NHS for early breast cancer. I remember phoning the Macmillan helpline about it at the time and they confirmed it. They said that they had lots of people ringing in who had been on hormone treatment for more than 12 weeks. If you do a search on this site for Abemaciclib, you’ll see one or two threads that emerged at that time, and they mention the 12 weeks thing too. My oncologist referred me to Track-ER trial, which is a monitoring trial, looking for any cancer sells circulating in your blood stream that would mean that a recurrence might happen at some point. Blood tests are for three years. They then deal with that. When I met the consultant oncologist at the Royal Marsden, she asked me how I heard about the trial, and I mentioned that I had missed the cut off date for Abemaciclib. She nodded, but didn’t say that my oncologist could prescribe it. I have been on an aromatise inhibitor for 13 months now, and had surgery 14 months ago. 
    Likely there will be a reason why your oncologist has prescribed it …. Unfortunately I was too far down the line. Interestingly, for this trial you have to have taken hormone treatment for more than 6 months (and it can be for several years I ‘think’)  and that’s why I was referred. Sorry I can’t add any more. Xx

• Hi , hope you don’t mind me asking, but I remember that a few months ago you were considering the Track-ER trial. Are you on the trial now? Things have moved on now - the Marsden are linking up with some cancer centres so that participants might not have to trek to London for the blood tests. Also, if (and very hopefully not) someone does have the DNA detected in the blood stream, they said that if that person isn’t assigned to pacclocibib, then they would have their current treatment reviewed and changed to something that could work better. Xx

• Thanks for the response, it can be so complex, I am finding that !!!  Hopefully we will both benefit. Good luck x

• You too @Kitty1. I read that you’d have a bit of a nasty surprise recently. I’m sorry that happened. It just goes on and on doesn’t it? You take care now. I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy. It was ok, and after the first week the days went pretty quickly. I got tired a few weeks later, but it didn’t last for for long. Xx

• Indeed the surprises do keep coming.......my radiotherapy starts tomorrow, hopefully be pretty problem free but we will see.

Best wishes x

• I am not yet signed up but am speaking to the consultant on Friday about it. I will let you know what they say. Am glad other centres are also recruiting. X