Low grade DCIS treatment options?

• 14 replies
  • 250 subscribers

Hi All,

My wife has been diagnosed low/intermediate none invasive DCIS size 6mm about 3 weeks ago. Similar to any other patients, we both are going through the same psychological processes, from stock, worry, fear and short of information etc. Because of her diagnosis, we changed the holiday plan, and decided later after we knew the result to go away for two weeks to reflect ourselves. That was probably the best decision we made I think, rather than rushing into the surgery without having got our heads around.

Within these two weeks, she relaxed and rested as much as she could, to catch up sleep she missed during the diagnosis and waiting for the result. We also did some research, thanks to internet. We found many trials and researches have been done cross US, EU and UK, that stated for low grade (low or intermediate) DCIS there have been many overtreatments which may not be necessary, as 1) non invasive DCIS has no life threatening especially at early stage 2) DCIS may not be precursor of IBC 3) treatment has side effect to women both physical and psychological. 

Based on the information we have read and discussed over time, we are now lean to active surveillance (mammogram every 6 months) instead of surgery, but we are not sure whether this is the right choice or are we taking too much risk? we would like to hear anybody who wants to share their experiences please.

Best

• This is so tough. I had a lumpectomy following DCIS diagnosis in 2014 followed by radiotherapy.

Looks as if it recurred but waiting on results.

I have wondered if the first lot of surgery was worth it but will never know.

my left breast is a size smaller with a dent but I am happy with it. Offered surgery to improve it but declined.

wish your wife good luck with whatever you decide 

• Hopefully the news won’t be a recurrence.  Once is more than enough to go through this diagnosis.  Do you know if the DCIS was estrogen positive?  If it was did you go on hormone blocker?  
    Take care. 
    Barbara

Barbara 

• No. I didn’t go on hormone blocker. But I don’t remember anyone mentioning oestrogen. Thanks for replying 

• Thank you all for kind messages, we felt better talking to people.

It is terrible disease happened to women. we have many fingers crossed for your result.

My wife wasn't offered for MRI, only mammogram and biopsies. Assume in the consultation next week with the doctor we will know more, and discuss about the treatment.