Letrozole Brands

• 3 replies
  • 250 subscribers

Hi I have been on Letrozole since December 2021 and have recently started to have bad legs,  mainly knee joints and some back pain.  I have been told that the brand Femara is available on the NHS and if life changing in terms of side effects, apparently NHS are not happy about prescribing though due to cost.  I am currently on accord so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

• Hi 

I am taking Letrozole been on it since May so early days I guess. Do have some stiffness in joints mainly hips but eases with movement. I take Sun Pharmaceutical which seems relatively ok a slight dry mouth in morning but compared to some side effects folk are having it is very doable. We are all different I guess . Side effects may still come I guess but watch this space. Anything which costs more I don't think we can bank on sadly. Take care x

• You doctor can request Femara. Mine did and I tried it, but although it felt like there was a bit  less joint pain I felt really dizzy on it all the time so went back to Accord every other day. Generic breaks cost £2-3 a month and Femara costs the NHS about £90 a month!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
  • Hi

I'm sorry you're in this Club, the one none of us wanted to join.

I have heard many different side effects with the various brands.  What I do always say is .... is it a side effect or... is it the tablet working, reducing the amount of oestrogen in our bodies.... I believe oestrogen forms part of the body's lubrication system (like WD40 is to loosening creaking joints etc).  So the longer on it the less (hopefully) oestrogen we have and the older our bodies feel.  ....

This all said, if it is our bodies reaction to reduce oestrogen there must be ways to help ease pain, etc - certain trigger foods, more mobility (I don't take this lightly, I'm overweight and need to start walking.... again).

I do believe that the different brands also have added 'packing/fillers' and colouring - something is calling in the back of my mind is recalling a certain brand that many of the ladies found they were having more side effects than others.

I am blessed to be on Femara, this said I have painful joints, I have suffered with trigger finger (only it was in both thumbs) and at present I am having nightly triggers of cramp in alternating legs.... is this a side effect, is this my weight, is it the hot weather, is it not drinking enough - its a minefield to know.

I think, so don't quote me on this, I think some of the ladies that have really bad pain actually take Claritin (loratadine) it's an over the counter 'antihistamine' - I am sure this has helped many with severe effects/side effects.

It may be a case of trying various brands to see which seems to suit you the most.

Oww and I 'think' the brand by 'Accord' is very similar, if not the same ingredients as Femara .... next to Femara, Accord would be my tablet of choice to try.

Hoping this helps xx 

I'm hoping this makes sense - only my mind says one thing and my fingers type whatever they like x