***OESTROGEN-REDUCING MEDICATIONS***

• 827 replies
  • 381 subscribers

I felt it would be a good idea to have a thread for this which people can use to ask questions, especially about side effects.  

• Well chatted through all my side effects and concerns with BC Nurse who used the "predict" scoring system to discover that with tamoxifen my life expectancy over 10 years is increased by 0.6%!! 

We both agreed that it was not worth the reduction in QOL for me so I have stopped it permanently. I realise I am very fortunate to be able to do this with little change in prognosis.

Wendy.  Just breathe
  • Gosh,  that's lucky,  and good that you asked.  I'm surprised that they gave it with such little gain.  Congratulations! X

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
  • Hello ..... guess what..... I've only just seen this post Triumph  owwww

I am 3 years and a few months on from you.  My hot flushes have eased a while back, the aching joints - well, was mainly my hands - fingers and a feeling of weakness in wrists... 'if' putting weight on them.  

I had a different issue around two weeks back and took the bull by the horns and opted to take 'half' a tablet - let me point out I am not in any way shape or form suggesting anyone do this - that is purely their own choice.  Like Londonmumof2 says lot of research saying we only need 0.5mg and the tablets are 2.5mg - I have done a week of reduced amount to see if my brain or what is left of it improves..... hmmmm I think it has slightly .... I have noticed the finger joint pains as eased off a lot. This said due to me being a scared-e-cat I will go back on to full tablet in a few days and may even fluctuate from full to half - see how this goes.

Sending love and hugs xx

I'm hoping this makes sense - only my mind says one thing and my fingers type whatever they like x
  • Due to side effects of mood swings and my joints, particularly my hands which are so painful with some fingers swollen, I recently asked my Consultant about reducing my Femara to 5 days per week, instead of each day, he said there is no evidence base to support a reduced dose without efficiency of the medication being lost. 

• Hi, I haven’t posted for quite a while but as I’m having some pretty horrid side effects from Anastrozole, thought I’d ask if anyone was experiencing similar. Been taking these little beauties for around eight months now. Had some joint pains but bearable so far, however the vaginal atrophy has become horrendous. Saw Gynae a couple of months ago due to tiny bit of spotting but also to check out the intense burning sensation inside my vagina and also inside my anus.  He carried out a very painful internal exam  and  also a transvaginal  ultrasound and concluded that the atrophy was wrecking havoc with my vaginal tissues and was the only factor that could have caused the spotting. He said that sadly the only thing to help this would be vaginal oestrogen which he couldn’t recommend due to my oestrogen driven tumour!  I use a non hormonal moisturiser every day down there anyway so he advised just to carry on with that. He was unable to say if the burning inside my anus could also be due to the drying out of the tissues from the atrophy. Anyway, to cut a very rambling tale short, I then saw a colorectal surgeon because the anal burning issues continued & he did a proctoscopy ( I think to try and put my mind at rest that there was nothing else sinister going on there) and he could find no reason why I have this awful constant burning in that area. This really uncomfortable  sensation in both body parts is still continuing and it’s driving me nuts and making me feel wretched. Have any other ladies experienced this weird anal burning whilst taking AIs and if so, what on earth did you do? Getting desperate!!! X

• Do you have reflux? Could you buy some urine test strips and see if the ph is off?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
  • Hi, many thanks for your suggestion but yep, have already done the ph testing & been swabbed by GP for any infections etc prior to seeing the two consultants. The vaginal atrophy aspect has been pretty bad for years but now seems to be at another level  - guess I just wasn’t expecting it to affect my poor anal parts too! X

• ARGGGHHH!!!

I am SOOO annoyed, bl00dy Dr Reddys (the brand that works for me) are stopping manufacturing Letrozole - back to the drawing board to hopefully find another brand that suits.

I've tried Cipla & Accord - both bad.

Am aware of SUN pharma...are there any others I should have on my prescription shopping list??

Thanks

Sam

My secret? Being daft & staying positive.
  • Bagrat 17, I’m also a CNS Palliative Care just starting my invasive breast cancer journey , surgery booked 18th January I’m peri menopausal so as per NICE guidelines no doubt will be offered tamoxifen , sentinel node biopsy will also no doubt dictate radiotherapy- chemotherapy options . Also trying to be a well behaved patient but totally struggling x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Bluestar2

I've been on anastrozole since August and some joint pain is now kicking in, but relieved by paracetamol. A few hot flushes and that's about it for now, it's not too bad