Radiotherapy club. Post your top tips for dealing with radiotherapy here please

• 157 replies
  • 276 subscribers

Hi everyone

Following a great suggestion from  we're going to trial a radiotherapy club, similar to the chemo club, where people undergoing, or about to undergo, radiotherapy treatment can share their experiences. 

To get it going, we thought it would be a good idea to collect your top tips to pass on to those coming after you. 

So if you have any tips for dealing with radiotherapy treatment, please post them here. 

• Hi

I so agree with you re Aloe vera  from Holland and Barrett,i used the lotion at the recommendation of a friend whos mum had the disease, in fact she has the gene and had her breasts removed in 20s to prevent it. I had very little discolouration or skin irritation, and no scaring.  I still use it on on my breasts, in fact on most of my body.  I was never told what to use at hospital, cant remember it being mentioned. so I stuck to aloe vera and as said it was excellent. Would recommend it to anyone.June

June M

• I'm only posting this as it should go to latest activity for the worried ladies re radiotherapy hope it works ..all excellent advice I'm still annoyed about the postcode lottery re R1and r2 ...when they say their cream is just as good it's not their skin and this is specially formulated ok rant over out with the dogs on this lovely day lol 

Hugs and Rainbows 

Debs xxxx 

Rainbows make me smile inside and out...think what makes you smile?  Hold onto it xxxx

• Rainbow Debs said:

I'm only posting this as it should go to latest activity for the worried ladies re radiotherapy hope it works ..all excellent advice I'm still annoyed about the postcode lottery re R1and r2 ...when they say their cream is just as good it's not their skin and this is specially formulated ok rant over out with the dogs on this lovely day lol 

Hugs and Rainbows 

Debs xxxx 

I saw my doctor the other day and mentioned this cream he just said the hospital will provide cream so no joy there x

Muzzajulie

• Have you got a practice nurse ? She might be more helpful ..it's bloody annoying I'm sure if it was their family they'd do whatever is best ..I'd complain to the practice manager and kick up a fuss at peak surgery time lol ..I'm sure they'd be helpful then ! 

I appear to have been lucky as my GP and practice nurse ( breast cancer 15 years ago ) basically said whatever you want we will get ..to the point with the dressings I had to cancel a prescription ..I wonder if it's the fact they dislike that you have greater knowledge ?? 

I'm going to do something about this ..watch this space !! 

Hugs and Rainbows 

Debs xxxx

Rainbows make me smile inside and out...think what makes you smile?  Hold onto it xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello :)

I am one of the lucky ones who have not had chemo pre radiotherapy (I did have chemo 25 years ago when I had ovarian cancer but didn't have radiotherapy as well)

I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy, which finished two weeks ago.

I again was lucky in that the cancer centre was about 15 minutes from home and work, so didn't have the long journey that many have had to cope with and must be so tiring.

My tips would be to put on the creams as directed (so for me it was Epaderm twice a day) and then tell them if areas get sore. They gave me another thicker cream to put on the sore areas three times a day

Also to drink lots. I bought a 1 litre refillable bottle and I made sure I drank it before the treatments (mine were all in the afternoon) and then drink another litre when I got home.

I would also say be kind to yourself! I tried to keep life as simple as I could and built in time for rest, didn't expect to do too much. I was able to go to work in the mornings though.

Good luck everyone

Nicola

• Hi Guys

I'm not due my radiotherapy until around July / August but was in holland and Barrett today.

I noticed the aloe Vera cream priced at ÂŁ7.95 but then buy another for a penny! I've bought myself two tubes in preparation.

I like a bit of a bargain!

Maxine

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to maxinem2

I've been using bio oil since my mastectomy almost 3 years ago. I buy that when its on offer. My last but bottle was ÂŁ12.99 instead of ÂŁ19.99!!!!!!

• RT starting on Wednesday. I've been moisturizing my lumpectomy scar with E45 cream, but should I lay off during RT? I'm going to pick up some aloe vera gel, which I understand is useful - apparently the R1/R2 creams aren't prescribed here. Thanks in advance! 

1. Sophie X

"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first, and the lesson afterward."

- Oscar Wilde

• RT starting on Wednesday. I've been moisturising my lumpectomy scar with E45 cream, but should I lay off during RT? I'm going to pick up some aloe vera gel, which I understand is useful - apparently the R1/R2 creams aren't prescribed here. Thanks in advance! 

1. Sophie X

"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first, and the lesson afterward."

- Oscar Wilde

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sophie236

Hi Sophie, first good luck with RT.

Don't use E45 while having RT it can interfere with treatment reaching the area properly. I found using aloa Vera gel straight from the fridge was just the best. The cream from the hospital just made matters much worse. Holland and Barrett have it on offer just now.

Also found that bio oil on my scars was brilliant but again not during RT.  I also used simple baby wash during treatmentÂ