Radiotherapy club. Post your top tips for dealing with radiotherapy here please

• 157 replies
  • 276 subscribers

Hi everyone

Following a great suggestion from  we're going to trial a radiotherapy club, similar to the chemo club, where people undergoing, or about to undergo, radiotherapy treatment can share their experiences. 

To get it going, we thought it would be a good idea to collect your top tips to pass on to those coming after you. 

So if you have any tips for dealing with radiotherapy treatment, please post them here. 

• Hi Muzzajulie

There's some great advice on here and good luck with radiotherapy 

I personally had no problems getting it on prescription but some have which is annoying.....order it ASAP as I used the R2 a week before so my skin was use to it and no adverse reactions before rt...its great and I know my skin would have been much worse without it. 

Hugs and Rainbows 

Debs xxxx 

Rainbows make me smile inside and out...think what makes you smile?  Hold onto it xxxx

• Thank you I shall ask my doctor xx

Muzzajulie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Muzzajulie

Hi all, unfortunately no luck with my hospital or GP for the R1 R2 creams so looks like I will be buying them. 

Assume directly from the company? Do we just need the 6 weeks packs? 

Sallyx

• Hi Sally 

May I ask what your GP said to you?  It's unfair that some of us have no issues...no wonder they say cancer is costly!  

Hugs and Rainbows 

Debs xxxxx 

Rainbows make me smile inside and out...think what makes you smile?  Hold onto it xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Rainbow Debs

Rainbow Debs said:

Hi Sally 

May I ask what your GP said to you?  It's unfair that some of us have no issues...no wonder they say cancer is costly!  

Hugs and Rainbows 

Debs xxxxx 

Hi Debs, she said that she had never heard of it and that it doesn't come up on her system therefore would be unable to prescribe it. The hospital also hadn't had any dealings with it and apparantly the radio nurses said there is no eveidence that it works any better thank what they prescribe which is a cream called double base. 

I also asked my niece who works at a chemist to check and they also were unable to order it from their suppliers.

It seems an area thing. I live in Coventry. Postcode lottery. 

Anyway, I'm prepared to buy it as I said I really don't want to burn! 

Sallyx

• There is a thread somewhere that dreamthief added to where he gave the 'catalogue number' for the creams to help the doctors identify it. Some of these excuses seem a bit lazy to me! I'll see if I can find it.

Maxine

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to maxinem2

Here are the PIP codes

PIP codes R1: 356-4432 R 2: 383-4918 

• Thanks Helen

Was still searching.... what does PIP stand for? Do we know?

Maxine

• maxinem2 said:

Thanks Helen

Was still searching.... what does PIP stand for? Do we know?

Personal Independence Payments (I think) xx

Karen 

• Hi Sally 

This is really making me cross...these so called professionals aren't going through it. The. Evidence is on here for a start...perhaps you could show your GP all the messages on here....I have said Already my GP is great but also the practice nurse is a breast cancer survivor of 15 years ...she googled it whilst we chatted and then said ordered...give it two.days...it took three but I'd ordered.In plenty of time....even the pharmacist was interested as he'd not seen them before

You can insist....they need to be educated that these gels/creams are specially developed to help with the side effects...perhaps if you ask if it was someone in their family would they be so dismissive...

When I speak to the pals team and trainee radiologists I'm going to bring this up....we spend enough going each day 

Sorry rant over its just so unfair....mind you if you met my nurse you wouldn't argue with her...ive just got loads of mepilex pads and polymem roll...you cut this and wet one side It's so cooling its bloody marvellous lol ...I'm in West Lancs 

Hugs and Rainbows 

Debs xxxx