Phone call so quick after GP appointment

• 2 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hi I’m new here, I’m on the 2 week referral for the Breast Clinic, I have been a few times over the years and luckily nothing. Things are different this time, my doctor saw me and said she’d refer me, if I didn’t hear after 2 weeks then to contact her again. Well 2 hours after seeing her I had a call, this has never happened to me before, I have always just received a letter with an appointment, so I’m completely freaking out, my husband bless him said, well maybe they aren’t busy with boobs right now, trying to make me laugh, but because this was not something I was expecting it’s thrown me. On top of that this time instead of a lump being my primary concern my right boob is pulling to the middle, my nipple is in a different position than normal and the skin in the area looks different. I usually wear my heart on my sleeve and tell everyone what’s going on with me but this time, I can’t bring myself to tell anyone apart from my husband, the reason is I have a gut feeling it’s not good. I have researched over and over because I want to be informed just in case. My appointment is on Monday afternoon and I have decided to go in my own, only because usually you have to return for any news. I feel exhausted.

• Hi Dorris75, so sorry you find yourself here.  It just knocks you for six doesn't it, you read a meaning into everything, every letter, phone call, it's all so anxiety provoking.  Hang in there.  Congratulate yourself on doing the right thing and getting it looked at.  You don't know anything definite yet.  It may be nothing like it sounds you've had before, but if it is something, you're now in the system and the care and treatment is really good.  Re going to the appointment by yourself, I did that and they did a mammogram, an ultrasound and a biopsy right there at the appointment.  The radiographer told me it was cancer (I did ask) before she had done the biopsy, even though I had to wait another two weeks for the official histology results to come through, so I knew on the day.  Do think how you'll feel if it's bad news and you're there yourself.  Any questions ask away.  In the meantime, try and distract yourself, not easy I know.  Let us know how you get on, sending massive hugs xx

• Hi Dorris75,

I had a lumpectomy some months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and am now taking one day at a time. I know yours seems slightly different than mine, but don’t automatically think the worse. You’re going to see someone soon and that is great, hopefully everything will be fine. However, if it is the worse case scenario, then I can only give you the following advice.

It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The strides made in modern cancer medicine these days is amazing and they can do so much for you. However, there is so much you can do for yourself too.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and ask your breast cancer nurse as many questions as you want also, you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you.

Take care and big hugs.xxx