Her2-positive Breast Cancer

• 7 replies
  • 482 subscribers

Started chemo in December  Pacitaxil plus Phesgo

left side mastectomy in April after which I developed a large hematoma  and had to go back to surgery. Stage 1grade 2 

now on Letrozole for five years plus Herceptin for one year. Not coping very well as blood pressure is causing anxiety 

• Hi Skylark 

Welcome to the forum.

I am now on medication for my blood pressure. My anxiety was through the roof.

Thankfully my blood pressure has reduced with the medication.

My anxiety has reduced a good bit now I have a treatment plan

Please speak with GP re BP and anxiety. Even if it's just a short term thing.

Use the macmillan nurses and cancer care also they are a great support.

It's a worrying time. I wish you well on your recovery xx

• Thank you Missymolly

its good to know that it’s not me being a wimp I am normally a positive Person but have found this very difficult. I live alone but couldn’t have managed without all help from my daughter.

wishing you well xx

• Hi Skylark,

You are certainly not a wimp. This is a journey noone wants to be on and the unknown and uncertainty makes it all the more anxiety provoking.

Be kind to yourself, take it one step at a time. We will get there xx

• Please rest assured that you are anything but a wimp.  I'm a hospital consultant myself and I am used to seeing cancer patients.  My mum has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and even though I've got the medical knowledge I'm still finding it very difficult and am very anxious.  

Although difficult please be kind to yourself.  You're doing an amazing thing fighting off cancer and I really hope that you do well with the treatment.  

• Hi Skylark,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have recently been told I am clear. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The strides made in modern cancer medicine these days is amazing and they can do so much for you. However, there is so much you can do for yourself too.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and breast cancer nurse, also you get great support on here.

If your Mum is somewhat confused of an anxious person, then I think I would wait until I’ve got some results before I tell her as it would only make her worry all the more. Hopefully, the results will be good but if it is not, as difficult as it will be try to to tell her as calmly as possible and keep reassuring her that you are getting the best treatment possible.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Sending all my best wishes.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Thank you for your kind and positive words X