Thank you

• 4 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with stage 1 grade 3 er+ pr+ and I’m booked in for a lumpectomy at the end of the month.
So for the past 2 weeks I have been on the breast cancer roller coaster of emotions. During this time I’ve not been able to look at any of the information that the hospital gave me as I found it too overwhelming and it felt like I was drowning in it all but on my last visit my breast nurse suggested I come on here and read some of the threads which I have. I just wanted to say by reading through your discussions I’ve learnt so much from you all, I’m now starting to get my head around it and realising that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I have never written in a chat room before but felt that I needed to say a huge THANK YOU to all of you for helping me through a very dark time.

• Welcome. Really sorry for you that you find yourself in our club but we are very supportive of each other and if you have questions you need help with, there’s always someone on here who can offer support. I don’t know if you know already but if you click on our names you can see our stories if we’ve loaded one. All the best x

• Thank you for the welcome.

From reading the discussions it shows how supportive you all are for each other and how you all share your experiences and advise to help each other through is fantastic. 
    I didn’t have a clue about clicking on the names so I really appreciate you giving me the heads up. I will be definitely reading through those.
    Take care.xx

• Hi Kezza1234,

Your kind words and sentiments are lovely, thank you.

I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I finished my radiotherapy four weeks ago and have now been told I am clear. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The strides made in modern cancer medicine these days are amazing and there is so much they can do for you. However, there is also a lot you can do for yourself.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Thank you for replying, I’m very grateful to you for sharing your story with me. Congratulations on being clear that’s amazing news.

I will take on board your advice and I’m definitely going to try the meditation as I have no problem falling asleep to start off with but I just don’t seem to be able to stay asleep. Then once I wake up my brain is in overdrive and I can’t switch off. So I think meditation might work thank you.

Take care.xx