Letrozole

• 21 replies
  • 481 subscribers

Hi all

Has anyone else had an almost permanent headache while taking Letrozole? Did it eventually wear off?

If you had hair loss, how extreme was it? Did your scalp feel as though it was itchy and burning? Did you find a solution? 

And, as for the immediate after effects of the Zometa infusion…!!!

• Hi SEE

While I don't have a headache from talking Letrozole I noticed that you haven't had any answers yet.  This reply should move you to the top of the discussion.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly with an answer for you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• I only started on it last Friday, but since then I have had crippling constipation. I just don't know what to do. I would go for walks but it hurts too much. There is just no one to talk to or ask. I don't know about you but I feel lost and don't know where to turn to. I have another appointment on 9 August but I can't go that long

• Susi, I’m so sorry to hear that. It seems that for every remedy there’s a drawback. I hope it settles down for you soon. 

• Thank you. I just need to learn to deal with it but I would really like to hear from someone who found the best 'cure' for them

• Hi See,

I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed. I have been on Letrozole for about six weeks and have had a few groggy headaches, but not a permanent one. I’ve also got quite an itchy scalp, I just kept my head as cool as possible and drink plenty of water, unfortunately these things are part and parcel. 

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

What I would say, is please do not suffer unduly, contact your breast cancer nurse or doctor and tell them what is happening, they should be able to help.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi SusiQ,

Im sorry to hear you’re going through this and that there’s no one you feel you can turn to. I had some constipation too, my Breast Cancer Nurse told me to try Fybrogel or Senekot and the Fybrogel seemed to help, just take it whenever. However, please check with your BCN or Doctor first to make sure.

Please don’t forget Macmillan, ring 0808 808 0000 as they are amazing people and find your nearest centre, the list is on here. They have advice, do walks, talks, help with money worries etc.

Also please try and get a good support structure in place, this important, family, close friends or good work colleagues. You can always come on here at anytime and chat to us, we’re not a bad shower.

I hope this has been of some help to you and send my good wishes and hugs to you.xx

• Re Letrozole, and constipation... I've been on it for nearly a year and had really bad constipation..from the beginning. 

I know we are all different, but I didnt want to take any more meds, and i found that 4 figs a day cured it.for me.  Great relief. 

Worth a try.  If you dont like figs, apparently 6 prunes art night works for many people. and may help with my chronicl insomnia as well

Love and hugs, dear SusiQ, 

P.s. It IS a shock when you first find you have b.c ,and there is so much to take in, but  most people find,  once you have a diagnosis and plan in place it is a great relief. 

And the Macmillan nursese in my exoerience , have been real angels of mercy, as has this forum,. I really felel supported, it  keeps me optimistic. 

AND just the Letrozole has steadily shrunk my lump from 3 cms over the past year, (I have too many co,morbidities for surgery etc) 

• Thank you for the recommendations. I don't have any siblings and my parents have both passed. I moved back to where I am 2 years ago (in Oct). I love being back here but  I struggle with people. I am Bipolar and also have BPD. I am on my own 24/7 but mainly by choice. People do like my company, and I enjoy theirs generally, but I still prefer the isolation. I have zero trust because of a narcissistic mother and a fantasist first husband, who disappeared one day because he thought he was Laurie Lee in 'As I walked out one midsummer morning'. My relationships with other people's dramas are finished unless I am fully informed, but somehow I am always the innocent victim. I would love to have a support group, but the energy it takes to be let down time and time again is beyond me now. I am resigned to having to do this on my own, like every big event in my life

• Wow thank you for that advice. I have never eaten figs before, only in fig rolls. I don't suppose they count? Sweat smileJoyRofl

• Hi SusiQ,

Try Movicol (sachets). You can have one in the evening to begin with. You should take it every evening for a couple of days for the medication to work. See how it goes. If it doesn't work, try two sachets. Give it a couple of days. I had a terrible constipation and got really scared when a severe abdominal pain topped it all so I ended up in ER. Movicol did the job. Fingers crossed it will work for you. Plus drink a lot of water. Ripe peaches or peaches from a can can also help. I hope this helps. Big hug,

Lana xx