Clear margins

• 9 replies
  • 480 subscribers
  1. Morning, I had lumpectomy and 2 nodes removed 2nd July. I got my results yesterday great news, lymph nodes were clear but the deep margin is slightly under the 1mm they like. They are reviewing and will let me know Monday as to whether they go back in and get a clear margin or if they are happy for me to go onto radiotherapy. Any thoughts as seen some like 2mm clear.

Many thanks

• Hi Daveday

It’s great news that your lymph nodes were clear.

Hopefully they’ll decide to let you go on to radiotherapy.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Daisy53

Thank you so much. It's been such an emotional rollercoaster since being diagnosed. Thanks to everyone on  the forums who are also taking this unwanted journey, the support and  help has been greatly appreciated. My heartfelt thanks to all.

• Good morning Daveday, I can share my experience, but as you know everyone is unique with a unique breast cancer profile. I was diagnosed with a 25mm lobular cancer in January. The recommended treatment plan was lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy and Letrozole for five years. First operation did not achieve clear margins. They were close, but not close enough on the lateral and the posterior. The surgeon said that they do not usually re-excise for posterior margin as she had excised "full thickness" (basically down to the muscle). She would however need to re-excise for the lateral margin. The radiotherapy would treat any potential issue with the posterior margin. Roll on to my oncology appointment. He told me, that although the posterior was less than 1mm, it was nevertheless a clear margin. There was "no ink on tumour" and this was acceptable. Not only that, he then said that I met the criteria for the recently published results of the Prime 11 clinical trial research, which meant that I had a choice as to whether to have radiotherapy or not. The criteria was very specific. Tumour 30mm or less, grade 2 or less, age over 65, ER & PR receptive, HER 2 negative, Clear margins (which he insisted mine were when I again challenged him on this), node negative, and prepared to take Letrozole for five years. Also I had no lympho-vascular involvement. There was no difference between overall survival rates with or without radiotherapy. However, based on the research, there was a 9.5% chance of recurrence without radiotherapy and only a 0.5% chance of recurrence with radiotherapy. He said I had to weigh up the potential side-effects of radiotherapy against the risk of recurrence. He would not be drawn to say which choice he would recommend. He said it had to be my choice, what was important to me. He also said he could not say what he would do faced with the same choice, and added "and I'm not 71." I'm not sure if this helps, but I thought I would share this with you as I think we are all so individual, with specific tumours, and it is all so very nuanced.

• Dear Dulcibella, thank you so much for sharing your journey. My invasive ductal cancer was 12mm just 1mm different from mammogram. They did say there was some dcis? found and removed during surgery, it's all a little confusing. I  really don't think your mind works the same following diagnosis. Sending you my very best wishes

• Thank you Dulcibella

I have my first radiotherapy appointment this Friday and an appointment with my surgeon 8th August. It wasn't my surgeon that advised no further surgery he wasn't available it was a different surgeon  and from what you have said about posterior margins has made me more settled thank you. The breast care nurse said they like 1mm but mine was half this which was a worry but she said radiotherapy will give that area an extra boost. I'm 60 and stage 1, grade 2 invasive ductal cancer, ER positive, HER 2 negative. Suggested radiotherapy and 5 years letrozole.  Thank you so much for your reassurance. Sending my best wishes 

• Such good news that no further surgery necessary, Just to add that I commenced Letrozole just over six weeks ago and so far, so good. I have not yet experienced any side effects. It's early days, but I travel hopefully. I send you my love and best wishes. xx

• Dear Dulcibella

It is such wonderful news. I'm looking at getting E45 to moisturise in readiness. Is there much difference to the pot of cream compared to the lotion as to moisturisng effects, the cream will be thicker I imagine. That's so good to hear you are not experiencing any side effects, hoping this continue you. Sending my best wishes.

• Dear Daveday,

Sending you best wishes for your appointment today. Tried to privately message you, but still trying to figure out how!  xx 

• Thank you Dulcibella, Today was really positive 5 days of radiotherapy not 10 as not needing the extra boost they thought as the non clear margin was DCIS not invasive as my cancer was. CT scan soon then expected to start radiotherapy early September. I have my letrozole which I start in the morning. I will try also to try and work out how to send a message. It's been an emotional day. I've a plan now and it's onwards and upwards.