Surgery tomorrow

• 5 replies
  • 462 subscribers

Not had time to really process, got diagnosed 3 or so weeks ago and got so much going on now its tomorrow quite nervous. Been putting on a brave face and joking around but reality of a double mastectomy kinda seems surreal 

• Hi Cookie90,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your possible surgery outcome.

Reaching out and sharing with others is a step in the right direction. A cancer diagnosis is a scary roler coaster of emotions.

Please use the support of others in the forum and the macmillan nurses. They srd very supportive.

I wish you well in your upcoming surgery and a speedy recovery. 

Xx

• Hi Cookie 90, welcome to the forum.

You have indeed had a lot to process in a short space of time. It's no wonder it feels surreal. I too sometimes experience this feeling, 5mths post diagnosis. 

You/we are dealing with something momentous and in some way life changing. We owe it to ourselves to be gentle and patient with us.

I hope that you are getting access to all the support and information you need. There is plenty here with MacMillan.

I wish so much, a speedy healing from surgery.

Hugest of hugs, Shaka

• Dear Cookie90 

I just want you to know you are so welcome here. The collective of this forum are routing for you.

I hope your surgery goes really well and you recover quickly. Sending hugs and love your way. You are not on your own.

Definitely reach out for support via your breast care nurse and team. Macmillan are here and amazing and you can call and discuss any questions as well as access free counselling to help you process the life changing event that comes with breast cancer and a double mastectomy. 

You will get through this and come out the other side. Full respect to your courage for reaching out for support. 

Your in my thoughts and I am sending all the good wishes to you Heart️ 

• Welcome to the group that no one wants to be part of. But is the best place to be in these circumstances you can get so much support, advice and just rant if needed. I was in ur position in Jan. just 3weeks post diagnosis. I think where u r was my biggest time of roller coaster of emotions. Hang in there. The bc nurses, staff and surgeons are fantastic. I was OK the nite b4 and the morniof op, even the day after! (I focused on getting a big sleep, not the opShrug. But i did have a big cry when I 1st saw myself in the mirror. But eventually the scars (physically and mentally) start to heal. I cried to my bc nurse and a friend of a friend who visited in hospital having had same surgery years ago. 

Rest LOTS, do exactly wot physio tells u, drink Lots water (I wore pads just in case as I cudnt move quickly to get to wc). But most of all be kind to yourself. Our bodies r all different, so give yourself a pat on the back and don't expect too much too quickly.

Sorry long reply. Very best of luck and feel free to come back here for a moan cry question whatever.

Big gentle hugs xxx

• Hi Cookie90,

I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I’m having radiotherapy next week. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx