Surgery worries

  • 9 replies
  • 463 subscribers

Having been diagnosed in March 2024 with Grade 2 Ductal Cancer , ER Positive 8, PR Progestrone 4 Her2 Negative I was put on Letrozole tablets and told to wait 3 months, I think I was a bit in denialPensives I wasn't feeling unwell and couldn't take it in . Last Tuesday I saw my surgeon , the Letrozole had done its job , lump had shrunk and she said I will next have surgery and would be 6 to 8 weeks .Pensiven Wednesday I got a call to say there was a space on Wednesday 3rd July and I am now getting very anxious . How long after surgery before you can get back to driving etc and how did anyone feel aftePensivethe surgery . I can't sleep worrying about it now but I suppose getting it done quickly is better . I have good support from my husband and son but some things are difficult to talk about with closePensiveamily.  Unfortunately my sisters live a long way from me so not possible to get to see them or fir them to come to me . I also have some side effects from the letrozole , I was taking in the morningPensiveut Breast cancer nurse suggested taking at night time as I was feeling very light headed and as if I wasn't really with it but now I am getting very bad joint and muscle pain in the morning and wondPensive if it would be better to go back to taking it in the morning ? Any advice would be very welcome Pensive

  • Hi

    so sorry to hear about your diagnosis

    just to say I had lumpectomy and SNB ( 4 nodes taken out) last week

    its really fine

    am pottering about the house doing odd jobs just trying not to use my “bad” side too much

    no pain, boob quite bruised and the cut under the arm maybe feels a bit tight. But no biggie

    id say my only issue is just the normal post GA fatigue- so just go with it. Going to start going for walks today. Onwards and upwards. You will be fine honestly. Just do a bit of pre cooking if you can because you might not feel like cooking, just because you’ll feel a bit tired but not pain.

    I’m in sports bras all the time which I have found just as good as the special bras. Shoulder has no stiffness and normal ROM. Just do the exercises they give you. Plenty water. Paracetamol as required. Plenty fiber!!!!! Good TV.

    will let you know what comes next……fingers crossed for no more operations and on to radiology and then hormone treatment

  • Thank you C22 for you reply , I will have Wimbledon to watch on TV and have thought about the pre cooking so am sure we will manage and i hope all goes with you for the rest of your treatment will be thinking of you x

  • Hi  Gurn

    Welcome to the forum. I am now 3+ weeks post surgery. I was told not to drive for two weeks and not to lift for 3-4. I bought wireless bras which are comfortable.

    I had very little pain, it was mostly discomfort. I was able to potter about the house at my own pace. The tiredness for me was more emotional exhaustion. I find since my diagnosis I worry more. However I am trying to remain positive and take it step by step.

    Good luck with your op you can let us know how you are doing xx

  • Hi Gurn,

    I had a lumpectomy just over  two months ago, two lymph nodes removed and I’m now awaiting radiotherapy. A lot of the symptoms you mention like nerves and anxiety are all perfectly normal.

    You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. We are all different and recovering from surgery will be different for each of us, however, I was told to start the arm exercises the day after the op. This is important and really beneficial, you just do as much as you can and go a little further each day, never force yourself. The under arm area healed quicker and it can help ward off lymphoedema (fluid retention). From the second day I went for a short walk and now walk everyday (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

    The joint pain is another common thing with lexotrole, I’ve always taken vitamin D3 tablets and asked my Doctor could I continue to do so, she told me in was perfectly fine and I’ve had very little joint pain, but please check with your own Doctor first. I take my lexotrole at eight o’clock every night, naybe there is something in taking it at a regular time.

    I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here. 

    Good luck with the surgery, you will be fine and let us know how you get on.

    Take care and big

  • Hi, Missymolly

    Thank you so much for your reply has certainly made me feel a lot better and will let you know how it all goes xx

  • Hi Boobybabe 2,

    Thank you so much for your reply and certainly made me feel a lot better . I am a very positive person most of the time but this did come as a shock to me but I am trying to keep busy and not dwell on it too much . I will certainly do all the exercises they give me and as you say weather permitting will go walking , although living in Scotland weather is very unpredictable. 

    I do take my letrozole at 9pm every night so may keep this up for now and sort out after surgery. 

    I will let you know how it all goes xx

  • Hi

    I had the same diagnosis as you. Tests on 24th May, biopsy results 4th June. I had lumpectomy and sentinal node removal last Monday (24th) left home 6am, hospital over an hour away back home for 6pm. We called at tesco on the way home, hubby went in not me, for extra strength strepcils as my throat was very dry and rough from the intubation. I say buy and have somethings in that are easy on your throat.

    Reasonable 1st nights sleep, 4 hours. Next day hubby told me off for brushing the patio, he'd made a mess with strimmer. I hadn't been told what I could or shouldn't do.

    Wednesday we went for a stroll on the beach. Thursday a walk around a nature reserve. The breast nurse rang to see how I was doing and told me no lifting, hovering, gardening or driving.

    I haven't done anything other than getting some fresh air, walking, doing the exercises and being bored. In the last 7 days I've only taken 6 paracetamol as I've not needed anything. I've set alexa to remind 3 times a day to do the exercises.

    We would have gone away yesterday in the camper if it hadn't have rained all day, just for a change of scenery and to keep my head from thinking of the results which I'll get this Thursday when they take the dressing off.

    I've found it much easier than expected. For me its been the fear of having the general anesthetic and being out of control that I had to get over, I was so frightened that they allowed my husband in to the anesthetic room until I went to sleep.

    Sue xx

  • Thank you for your reply, makes me feel much better xx

  • Hi Gurn,

    No worries, anytime hun, we are all in this together.