Breast cancer

• 3 replies
  • 466 subscribers

Hi I’m Jax and I’m new here 

In April I went for my 2 yearly heart/lung scan as I’m high risk for lung cancer, results were negative which was a relief but it picked up an abnormality in my left breast so referred to breast clinic, had a mammogram and biopsy and positive for cancer, I have severe copd so surgery is not an option for me as my lungs won’t cope, I have appointment 3rd July to go through my results and treatment but my anaesthetist is recommending tablets and radiotherapy as i have limited life expectancy, I’m struggling to get my head round it all with my breathing and now cancer. 

• Hi Jax

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Depending on your breast cancer diagnosis radiotherapy and tablets are very effective. 

My treatment plan was to be radiotherapy and hormone suppressants, however mind was grade 3 so now need chemo. I need a heart echo first to make sure I can tolerate chemo. Treatment have improved there are many medications in tablet form that are as effective.

Try to take one step at a time. Discuss with your doctor. He will have your best interest and recovery plan.

Also reach out to others in similar situations and the macmillan nurses for reassurance and support.

I hope your appointment goes well and they have a good treatment plan for you that's effective and not too harsh.

Sending positive thoughts your way xx

• Hi Jax1965,

I am so sorry to learn of your diagnosis and that you are going through so much. I had a lumpectomy just over two months ago, two lymph nodes removed and I now await radiotherapy. Although my situation is somewhat different to yours, I can appreciate what a shock it is when you are told, but it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do talks, help with money matters and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

Please keep in touch with your Doctors and Breast Cancer Nurse don’t be afraid to seek help or ask questions, that’s what they are therefore and they can really put your mind at ease.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Jax1965

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with breast cancer on top of having severe copd.  It's hardly surprising that you are struggling to get your head around it.  

Wishing you the best of luck with your appointment next week.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge