Breast cancer appointment

• 3 replies
  • 485 subscribers

Hello, I’ve had pain in the left side of my left breast for a long time. I’ve ignored it as thought it was hormonal. Periods all over the place due to peri menopause. (I’m 50)

I then developed a swelling in my left armpit. 
I’m not sure if I can feel a lump in the bottom of my left breast near to where it joins my chest. 

I have been referred to the breast clinic & have my appt in 11 days time. My appt says Urgent Suspected Breast Cancer. 

I'm trying not to Google too much, but I am so worried. 
I’m just posting here to get some reassurance/advice.

• Hi Goth1

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you may have breast cancer.  Most lumps turn out to be benign but if it is breast cancer then rest assured that it will more than likely be very treatable and your medical team will do everything in their power to get you better.  They've made great strides in coming up with new treatments for breast cancer in recent years and treatments improve all the time.  I was first diagnosed with breast cancer nearly four years ago and since I them a number of new treatments have come on stream.  I had chemo, surgery and radiotherapy and I made a full recovery.  

Wishing you the best of luck with your breast clinic appointment and hopefully your lump will be benign.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for replying Daisy 

• Hi Goth1,

I had a lumpectomy just over two months ago and some lymph nodes, I am now awaiting radiotherapy. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. However, if this turns out to be the worse case scenario don’t worry, there is so much you can do for yourself.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Please do not visit Dr Google, there is so much conflicting information that is causes confusion and stresses you out.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, if it is cancer, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx