Overweight and surgery

• 6 replies
  • 465 subscribers

Hi there, I have recently been diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal cancer and it's in my lymph nodes. I've opted for a masectomy and node clearance but I'm panicking about the surgery.

I'm a larger lady and I'm dreading not waking up after surgery.

Am I being silly,?

• A anaesthetist or a pre op nurse will assess you before your surgery and check if it is safe to give you a ga , mostly theatres now days are accustomed to the larger person the real risk is after the operation, chest infection and thrombosis so they will be aware a give you prophylactic treatment , mobilize as soon as possiable. 

• Hi Snoopy74

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  It's perfectly understandable that you are panicking about the surgery, you're not being silly at all.  The chances of you not waking up from the surgery is highly unlikely.  They use your weight to determine how much anesthetic to give you to put you to sleep.

Wishing you the best of luck with your operation.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi welcome to the forum. I am not exactly slim and had my op 10days ago. The anaesthetist will access you before op. 

I had day surgery. Woke up quite quickly after op and home by tea time.

Please be reassured they know what they are doing and will do everything to keep you safe during op.

Good luck with your surgery xx

• Well, if you are, then I am too! I'm in the thinner side, and I'm worried too. My surgery is tomorrow morning. I spent all day yesterday writing notes to my kids, and tried to organize all the 'just in case I don't make it stuff'. But seeing the comments you received has helped. 

My prayers are with you. Each day I think about everyone here... my new family I didn't want to have! Broken heart

• Hi CJ W,

I was petrified of anaesthetic. The team were excellent at reassuring me. Taking their time till I felt more relaxed.

I woke up quite quickly afterwards and relieved they had cut the cancer out of me.

Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

• Best of luck with your surgery tomorrow CJ W.

Community Champion Badge