• 6 replies
  • 463 subscribers

Hi, I'm Maria. Recently had a breast cancer diagnosis so just thought I'd join and say hiWave

• Hi MariaS,

I had a lumpectomy nearly two months ago and two lymph nodes removed. I’m sorry to learn you are going through this, it is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Boobybabe2, thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear you are going through this too. I've held off telling my family so that I can, as you say, have some time to let it sink in with me first.

Also, thanks for the useful suggestions. I definitely plan to visit my nearest Macmillan Centre. I also live on my own, and I'm quite introverted, so having the opportunity to meet other people at the centre to talk to and that will understand will be very helpful. The daily walks also sound like a great idea.

It's good to know I can access this community for advice and support anytime. 

Thanks again  and take care too xx

• Anytime hun, we are all in this together Thumbsup tone3

• Hi Maria, 

Recently diagnosed also. Had my lumpectomy and nodes removed last week. Recovering well.  Now to have chemo appointment next week to discuss.  Welcome to the forum xx

• Thanks Missymolly,

Glad you're recovering well from your surgery. I'm due to start my chemo shortly, I'm having it before my surgery. Hope all goes well with your chemo xx

• Thank you and you also xx