New breast cancer diagnosis: high oestrogen levels and ER+

• 6 replies
  • 464 subscribers

Hello, received my biopsy results on Monday following a fluke breast cancer find after I signed up to a BRAID study (an ABB MRI) for women with dense breast tissue. Am 50yrs old with very high oestrogen levels (ranging from 1300 and 2198 during a serious of blood tests)

Left breast, Stage 2, grade 2, ER+

Have a 2nd MRI booked for next week (surgeon wanted some addition checks of other breast) and surgery (lymph nodes and waiting to find out if lumpectomy or mastectomy) planned for 29th.

New to this and scared. Given my high oestrogen levels, does this increase future reoccurrence? If that is the case, would a mastectomy mitigate that risk? 

• Hi Dawn24

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Unfortunately I can't answer your question about your high oestrogen levels increasing future recurrence.  If you like you could put the question in to our Ask a Nurse section as they would have a better idea, though you might have to wait a few days for an answer.  Here's the link to Ask a Nurse: Ask a Nurse .

Wishing you the best of luck with your MRI next week.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Dawn24,

I'm still learning also. Recently diagnosed. I'm not sure about hormone levels and treatments. I am Her2 grade 111 aggressive just learned tthe results tonight following  my lumpectomy and removal of sentinels nnodes last week.

I haven't stopped crying since telephone call. All I hear in my head is aggressive. My belief if it's hormone related they want you to have a hormone suppressant following any treatments to prevent a reoccurrence.

Take care and I hope all goes well for you xx

• Sending you a huge hug. I try and forget it’s all real until a bolt (like a call) hits me and I’m knocked for 6. I don’t doubt you are super bad-ass and will move on from this to bigger and better xx

• Hi Missymolly

I’m sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with grade 3 breast cancer. You are correct in your belief, if it’s hormone related they want you to have a hormone suppressant to help prevent recurrence once all other treatments are finished. The hormone suppressant they give you depends on your age. I was diagnosed with grade 3 triple negative breast cancer nearly four years ago and after having chemo, surgery and radiotherapy I made a full recovery.

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever treatment they put you on.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for replying, that gives me a new sense of hope for the  future. Maybe now I won't catastrophes as much. Thank you sooomuch xx

• Hi Dawn24,

I had a lumpectomy nearly two months ago and two lymph nodes removed. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. I wish I could advise you about the mastectomy question, but I think its better talking to your Doctor or Breast Cancer Nurse about this, they will give you loads of advice. The waiting is a bummer, but don’t dwell on the bad stuff, it only makes you feel worse.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here, we are all in this together.

Take care and big hugs.xxx